 General / 34661
Re: Selling MOC Instructions? Your Thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 18:21:35 GMT

Sun Yun wrote:

Has anybody ever sold just instructions for an MOC they'll built.

Yep. I've bought a set of instructions. The kit sellers do it all the
time (of course they include the parts also...).

If so are there any legal ramifications of doing so, especially in the
context of using LDraw/MLcad to generate the images?

I believe not, this was one of the things which was a factor in the
licensing discussion for LDraw.

Due to an overwhelming demand for two of my MOC outside the Lugnet community
I've been pondering doing this.

Why charge for the instructions you ask?  Well I'd like to think of it as a
way to support my hobby much in the same way people use Brickbay shops to
support there's.  It is definitely not a sustainable source of income by any
means.

I think it's a great idea.

Here's the model:

If I do decide to do this, I intend to try to add as much value as possible.
I'll be creating interactive instructions using either Macromedia Director
or Flash and burning them onto pocket CD's.  Fully designed case, MOC
stickers, and reference pictures too.

This sounds good, but I'd suggest thinking about printed copies also. I
don't like digital instructions much because I don't do my building
beside the computer.

In any case I wanted to ask everybody here on their thoughts.  I'm kinda
torn between just giving them out and charging for them.  It's always nice
to have a means to support an expensive hobby, at the same time it's also
cool to get things for free.

Go ahead and give selling them a try. If it turns out to be more hassle
than it's worth, you can always post the instructions on the web for
download (this may annoy your early buyers but then they're getting a
nicely finished product not just a binary file).

Frank