 General / 34688
Re: Selling MOC Instructions? Your Thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 03:58:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, William R. Ward writes:

If you made a model of a Lego product (supersized minifig sculpture,
etc.) out of Lego and tried to sell it, they'd probably come after
you.  But using Lego bricks as a medium is OK.

The issue isn't the medium, it's what is produced - an image of a
trademarked Robotech character.  The same would be true if you made
T-shirts with a Robotech character and tried to sell them.

--Bill.

All points well taken.  This is some good discussion.

I definitely might be infringing on copyrights in some way by producing a
Lego toy based on someone elses intellectual property.  I'm very familar
with the Harmony Gold's(copyright owner) history so I'll have to do some
reading.

After thinking about it a bit, I believe the only problem I'll have is if I
label this thing as a "Robotech" whatever.   It could look nothing like
anything they've designed but if it says Robotech they'll probably come
after me.

I belive the image produced is negligable unless it is faithful to every
detail.  "hey that fender looks just like . . . "  But something still
doesn't sit right.

What about Lego trains for instance.  If the Guild models a train that
exists and was designed by some company, is that not a violation of the
intellectual property of that company?

And where is the fine line drawn between what's mine and what's there's. I
intend to make instructions for a design of my own, based on images I've
seen produced by someone else.  My own interpretation and rendition of an
idea.  It is not a faithful replica of the design but rather draws
inspiration from it.

But then again this is all subjective and now I have a headache.  I don't
know what I'm saying anymore.

Ah, copyright law, you gotta love it.

sun