 General / 34663
Re: Selling MOC Instructions? Your Thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:30:31 GMT

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Sun Yun wrote:

Has anybody ever sold just instructions for an MOC they'll built.

Yep. I've bought a set of instructions. The kit sellers do it all the
time (of course they include the parts also...).

I actually have 5 of these kits made right now, the first two of which are
on Ebay right now.  I would have liked to have made a decent production run
of these but sourcing was a extremely time consuming and expensive process.

If I do decide to do this, I intend to try to add as much value as possible.
I'll be creating interactive instructions using either Macromedia Director
or Flash and burning them onto pocket CD's.  Fully designed case, MOC
stickers, and reference pictures too.

This sounds good, but I'd suggest thinking about printed copies also. I
don't like digital instructions much because I don't do my building
beside the computer.

I've been trying my best to avoid printed copies due to the time and expense
in producing them but the point is well taken.  I don't like being in front
of the computer all the time either.  Most of the Guild customs seem to have
a production runs of about 20 which still seems to be a large task in
producing instructions.  I have enough interest right now that I would need
to output well over a 100 right now which makes me cringe when I think about
printing them.

Who is the best person to talk to about this from the Guild?  I'd like to
gather some information on how they've been outputing there paper instructions.

In any case I wanted to ask everybody here on their thoughts.  I'm kinda
torn between just giving them out and charging for them.  It's always nice
to have a means to support an expensive hobby, at the same time it's also
cool to get things for free.

Go ahead and give selling them a try. If it turns out to be more hassle
than it's worth, you can always post the instructions on the web for
download (this may annoy your early buyers but then they're getting a
nicely finished product not just a binary file).

Thanks for all your input Frank and everyone else.  Very helpful.

sun