 General / 34662
Re: Selling MOC Instructions? Your Thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2001 19:26:05 GMT

Based on what is shown in the message Tim links to (below), it would seem
that the unique instructions you might create with such programs are your
property, in much the same way as a document written in MSWord is owned by
the author, not the software company.  Keep in mind that copyright ownership
should be defined on anything you reproduce (a small notice with the (C)
symbol, your name, and date of creation would suffice).  I would advice
placing such notice on all forms of your work -digital or otherwise.  If you
provide a data CD, you might also include a note that any reproduction of
its contents is a violation of copyright law without your express permission.

Lack of any notice might be mistaken. for you voluntarily placing the work
into public domain.

As far as whether your idea is worth selling, I would say as long as you
have customers willing to pay, then the answer is yes.

-Hendo

PS  I do agree that your models are excellent.  I am not big on mechs, but
they remind me of the early Robotech cartoons I watched oh so many years ago...

In lugnet.general, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.general, Sun Yun writes:
Has anybody ever sold just instructions for an MOC they'll built.

If so are there any legal ramifications of doing so, especially in the
context of using LDraw/MLcad to generate the images?

No.

http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=34521

-Tim