 General / 26701
Re: Not at all a pact with the devil...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:46:06 GMT

Jake-

Thanks for bringing a little sanity and actual fact to this discussion. I am
incredibly sick of all the self-righteous whining about a software company
being 'evil'. I think some people need to open a history book or even turn on
the nightly news. Anyway, I am actually not too thrilled about this deal
either, but I'll try to express my thoughts in a non-hysterical way.

My main concern is that things like this (partnerships and licenses) are
diminishing attention on the product that made LEGO what it is: the LEGO brick.
What will this partnership with Microsoft do to improve the quality of bricks
and sets? As far as I can see, it does nothing, and to me that makes it a bad
deal. It seems to me that TLC's recent losses have coincided with an increasing
emphasis on non-LEGO products. I am concerned that LEGO will not be around for
my children because you (TLC) are frittering away decades of reputation and
goodwill on shoddy products, many of which aren't even LEGO.

So Jake, I guess I (and many others) would just like an explanation of TLC's
recent deemphasis on the brick and concentration on video games, licensing
deals and other non-LEGO activities. Thank you for your communication and don't
get too discouraged. Remember, we complain because we love (LEGO, that is).

-Marc Nelson Jr.