 General / 25346
Re: Moving away / Losing interest in Lego :(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:54:36 GMT

I thank my mother on a regular basis that she kept the LEGOs for me.  She
instilled several beliefs about LEGO at an early age, the rules were as
follows:

1)  You do not loan LEGO out to anyone, no matter how nice they are (This
relates back to an incident where I, at the tender age of 5, went from about
75 - 100 Hot Wheels to two in 'trades' with an older (15 or so) kid in the
neighborhood

2)  You do not modify, break, take out, glue, or do anything to the people,
bricks, etc.  I got yelled at for about 15 minutes at about age 7 because my
cousin pulled out the hands of the 'maxi-figs' that were available at the
time.  On the maxi-figs I've seen better uses for the hands since then, but
on the mini-figs I don't ever remove the hand.  There are a lot of weird
institutes with me and LEGO and now I'm 29.  I almost have a funeral when I
find a broken Mini-fig in my old collection.  I actually took every piece of
LEGO from my parents house last Christmas, sorted & went through piecing
together all the people and now have a 'bone pile' of figs and I'm
constantly searching for hands, airpacks, etc for my poor guys.

3)  You do not break LEGO nor use them as projectiles against siblings,
which leads to rule 4

4)  You get grounded from your LEGO if you break a piece by being rough with
them (see rule #3)

My Dark ages came about the same time as this young mans, middle 80s, I'm
discovering lots of cool stuff & a car.  For years until about 1996 I would
always meander down the LEGO isle thinking 'Man, I should get that set'

Finally financial reasons as well as a new girlfriend/fiancée/now wife who
pushed my interest for LEGO one day while I did my usual visit to Toys R Us
and meandered down the LEGO isle.   She then said 'if you like that one, why
not get it'.  The Dark Ages ended at age 25 and I think my wife regrets
making that statement ever since.  I've spent a large amount of time & money
ever since...

"Wayne McCaul" <wmccaul@horizonhouse.com> wrote in message
Well, here's my two-cents:

As someone who's very recently come back, I wish that I had held on to • more
of my original Legos than I did. Much of what I gave away to my younger
siblings - because I was so sure I wouldn't want them again - has been • lost.
And what few original pieces I have, make me long for the missing.