 General / 25311
Re: Moving away / Losing interest in Lego :(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.aquazone, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.basic, lugnet.technic, lugnet.town, lugnet.underground, lugnet.western
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:21:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Sergio Guerra writes:
Hi Lugnet users,

I am moving next week and like Lego fans always do, they pack up their Lego.
I am 15 years old and I have been actively collecting Lego since December
1996 up to now. But, I haven't even looked inside my cabinet since this
summer, I've been more interested in Nintendo lately. With this moving going
on and decreased interest in Lego these days, I don't know if I should even
put them back together. Maybe I will have renewed interest once I've
reassembled the sets, but I don't know if I will even have the motivation to
do that. Is this what's it's like to enter a <gasp> DARK AGE? I'm now also
even starting to feel embarrassed to fool with Lego in front of my friends,
who all still own Lego and liked Lego for as long as I have. Any thoughts on
this? Any advice from you AFOLs? I would really appreciate it. Later.

--==Sergio==--

Hi Sergio!

I guess I'll share my perspecive since I did go through a definate Dark Age.

Although some AFOL's have never had a dark age, it does happen to a lot of
us as we grow up that we start to get really busy in the hustle and bustle
of our late teens, twenties and even thirties.  Often responsibilities get
in the way, and even in extreme cases some AFOLs (I experenced a bit of
this, but not too bad) are blatently told as a teenager that playing with
Lego is bad idea.  :(

TAKE HEART!  If you are seriously interested in Lego (and I'm sure you are)
but you don't have the time right now, then you will have the opportunity at
a later date to get back into it.  Ususally by the time you are finished
school, get out on your own and start making money, you can make the
consious decision to play with Lego as a "hobby".  I say that because what
is considered just a child's "toy" at first is often widely accepted as a
"hobby" when you get older.  Just take a look at all the train enthusiasts
out there, either Lego trains or otherwise!  So you can feel good in the
fact that while there will always be people out there who think it's wierd
to have Lego, there are a LOT MORE people who think it's cool in what Lego
can do.  Particularly in the high technology industry such as computer
programmers and network administrators. That alone pumps plenty of
credibility into the product.  When people see that you are successful and
you play with lego, they tend to keep any negative comments to themselves.

So, if you're up to it, just hold onto all that great Lego.  You will thank
yourself some day.  You'll REALLY thank yourself if you get kids and they
like Lego, because you will save yourself a bundle of cash!  You are not
alone!  I have met many people who have admitted to experiencing what you
are going through right now.

Just my positive two cents worth.

~Trev
Astro Lift Co.