 General / 25312
Re: Moving away / Losing interest in Lego :(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:24:28 GMT

"Sergio Guerra" <Vetkidz@aol.com> wrote in message news:G5J8s1.3y3@lugnet.com...
  Hi Lugnet users,

I am moving next week and like Lego fans always do, they pack up their Lego.
I am 15 years old and I have been actively collecting Lego since December
1996 up to now. But, I haven't even looked inside my cabinet since this
summer, I've been more interested in Nintendo lately. With this moving going
on and decreased interest in Lego these days, I don't know if I should even
put them back together. Maybe I will have renewed interest once I've
reassembled the sets, but I don't know if I will even have the motivation to
do that. Is this what's it's like to enter a <gasp> DARK AGE? I'm now also
even starting to feel embarrassed to fool with Lego in front of my friends,
who all still own Lego and liked Lego for as long as I have. Any thoughts on
this? Any advice from you AFOLs? I would really appreciate it. Later.

--==Sergio==--

One thing I have to say first is, AFOLs are the coolest people :)  Look at the
support thus far encouraging one's LEGO hobby.  People think you're weird if you
play with LEGO, I think you're weird if you *don't* play with LEGO or at least
like it.  Its one of those wonderful things no one should be without.

Sergio - about your predicament.  I was one who went through all of junior high
and high school not afraid to admit I played with Lego.  There's not a real
reason to be ashamed of it, because who else can claim to build really cool
stuff that impresses their friends?  After I got to college this year I came to
appreciate the hobby even more because of the number of people here who support
me with it.  People stop by to see what I've built, or come in and are wowed by
my space transport or my LDraw Kidvention posters hanging on the wall.  I know
people here who I never would have thought liked Lego who do, just because I
wasn't afraid to display it in my room and talk about it.  This also opens up
opportunities for me to buy old Lego cheap, from people who don't want theirs
anymore :)

We all know Lego is a good thing - it is a way of expression and an artform more
than it is a toy.  If you go through a dim ages or a builders' block, that's OK,
we all have them.  I haven't had a true 'dark' ages though, and I never plan to.
So if you move away a bit, keep your stuff boxed up.  You WILL regret it later.
Don't be afraid to play with your Lego in front of friends...they might get into
it too!  Get involved in a LUG where you are moving, if there is one, and if
there isn't, start one!  There's plenty of support for people like you
struggling with your hobby.  Lego is nothing to be ashamed about!!  Don't be
ashamed if you lose interest for a while either.  Things go in phases, why
should Lego be any different?

Hope this helps.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com