 General / 25325
Re: Moving away / Losing interest in Lego :(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.aquazone, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.basic, lugnet.technic, lugnet.town, lugnet.underground, lugnet.western
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:05:27 GMT

Sergio

You have hit a stage in your life that I think most of us can identify with.
I know for me it happened when I was a junior in high school.  Lego seemed
to fade into the background while I took part in high school activities and
prepared for college.  When I left for college my legos ended up in a big
box and I didn't touch them for almost 10 years.  This was my "dark age".

Then last year I was fooling around on the internet and found the LUGNET
community and I am back into lego full blast.  I must say that with
hindsight being 20/20 keeping all my legos at my parents house and not
selling them or giving them away was one of the smartest moves I've ever
made.  All those sets I collected during the early to mid 1980's are now
worth a LOT of money and the value just keeps going up with places like EBAY
around.  Now my Black Falcon force is my pride and joy!!!

Most AFOL's went through this same thing (and I think it happens to most
people during the same time period of their lives ages 16-24 or so).  I can
tell you that in a few years you may find yourself once again longing to
build with lego and you'll be kicking yourself if you've sold them all at a
garage sale.  Trust me on that one.

In about 10 years you will no longer care what other people think (I hope)
and you'll care more about what makes you happy.  As a 27 year old AFOL I
love them more now than ever.  They are a link to my childhood and a
remberance of what a real toy should be (nothing battery powered or computer
related).  I look forward to when my 8 month old daughter is old enough to
play with legos and not just chew on them.  I am an officer in the United
States Army and I consider myself a pretty "tough" guy but I still love my
legos.

Do yourself a favor and just box them up and hold on to them.  If in ten
years you still aren't interested in playing with them then sell them then.
At least they will be worth more then.  But if you do return to legos as an
adult you will never regret your decision to keep them all those years
during your "dark age".

Good luck and keep us all posted on what you decide to do.

sincerely

Andy