 General / 25339
Re: Moving away / Losing interest in Lego :(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:08:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Sergio Guerra writes:
Hi Lugnet users,

I am moving next week and like Lego fans always do, they pack up their Lego.
I am 15 years old and I have been actively collecting Lego since December
1996 up to now. But, I haven't even looked inside my cabinet since this
summer, I've been more interested in Nintendo lately. With this moving going
on and decreased interest in Lego these days, I don't know if I should even
put them back together. Maybe I will have renewed interest once I've
reassembled the sets, but I don't know if I will even have the motivation to
do that. Is this what's it's like to enter a <gasp> DARK AGE? I'm now also
even starting to feel embarrassed to fool with Lego in front of my friends,
who all still own Lego and liked Lego for as long as I have. Any thoughts on
this? Any advice from you AFOLs? I would really appreciate it. Later.

Sergio, take it from me, Nintendo gets old but Legos never do.  Believe me,
when I was in my mid teens I became obsessed with video games.  I owned
every system available at the time (NES, SNES, GB, Genesis (w/Sega CD,)
TurboGRAFX, and Jaguar) and my obsession continued into the
Playstation/Saturn/N64 era.  Shortly after I rediscovered Lego and came out
of my Dark Ages (when the SW sets came out) I had two obsessions: Video
Games and Legos.  Fortunately I didn't sell any of my legos... they were all
packed away in various boxes among other junk.  When I picked up a Dreamcast
I found had pretty graphics but it just wasn't any fun.  I thought that
perhaps newer games just weren't as good as older ones so I went back and
played all of the 16 and 32-bit games I used to think were fun only to find
that they weren't fun anymore.  That was the day the Video Games died.

Legos are so much more fun than video games... and, unlike video games, if
you keep sets together (and keep the boxes and what not) legos actually
increase in value overtime.  I only wish that I had been focusing on Lego
all those years I was pumping my cash into video games... I missed out on
Blacktron II, Exploriens, Pirates, and some other sets and themes that were
really cool.

I'm not telling you to stop playing video games... I'm just telling you not
to sell your Legos.  Keep them around, you'll be glad you did.

-Bryan

PS: On a side note, I still have all of my old video game stuff.  I sold off
the Playstation and the N64 for less than half of what I payed for them, but
nobody wants any of the others...  I still have the Dreamcast hooked up to
my TV, but it's covered in dust.