 General / 25310
Re: Moving away / Losing interest in Lego :(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people, lugnet.adventurers, lugnet.aquazone, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.basic, lugnet.technic, lugnet.town, lugnet.underground, lugnet.western
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 01:18:54 GMT

As Shiri mentions, you may be entering a dark or dim ages. My suggestion
would be to pack it all up neatly so as to present the least problem to
yourself and your folks. Then hold on to it, resist the urge to sell it
to get a few bucks, unless you go to a lot of effort, or have a huge
collection, you will not begin to get what it's worth (in the Fall of
1999, I was buying stuff from a kid who needed money for his car, he was
splitting things into sets and selling them for decent prices [most at
least in the ballpark of what he would have got on eBay], but then he
got tired of splitting it and sold the rest to me for $500. That
consisted of about 5 or 6 copier paper boxes FULL of LEGO [actually it
was more boxes, but not so full, but after I washed and sorted, it
filled fewer boxes, but absolutely to the brim], I still have about 3
full boxes worth that I haven't dealt with, and can get close to $1000
in sets that I've already built - his original collection was probably
2-3 times what I got in that bulk lot [and he had earlier sold $500 in
sets to me, and at least that to one other person, and bunches to some
other folks, so he probably cleared $2-3000]).

At the worst, at some point down the road, you give the LEGO to a young
relative who will appreciate it (your child, a niece or nephew, or a
cousin), or you sell it with perhaps more ability to get what it's worth
(for example, you could take a few hours each week during summers
splitting out sets or interesting parts lots [which may be way more cost
effective than splitting it into sets, from what I have seen, 70-90% of
sets will clear more as parts lots than as sets], and putting them up on
eBay, adding a nice little suplemental income to your summer job.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com