 General / 21967
21966  |  21968
Subject:
Next year
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.castle, lugnet.technic, lugnet.sports, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 18:41:34 GMT

Hello all,

I went to TRU this morning to see if I could get the UCS X-wing. They had one
left but the box was opened and taped and generally looked bad. I asked an
employee, that was restocking the Lego shelves a few feet away, if they had
another in the backstore or somewhere. He told me no.

It turns out he was the local Lego representative and had come to fix the
store's display. We chatted for over half an hour. He wasn't aware of the AFOL
community. I told him there are thousands of us and that we spend tons of
money and all that. He was shocked.

He also gave me a scoop (I guess) about TLC plans for the coming years. More
Star Wars (we already knew). Castle will be around for a couple more years,
then it might go away again. No news about pirates. Soccer might be around for
a few more years, with new sets next year. Technic seems to be "in". It will
be expanded (no word on how). Arctic seems to be a big flop. They haven't sold
much (Look forward to great sets on discount!).

He also told me that the reason TLC has juniorised its sets is that they are
marketing the toys toward a lower age group- 3 to 5 years - and that kids are
more impatient these days. He said that trends change every 10 years,
generally. (only six more years of junior!)

Kevin Z