 General / 22006
Re: Next year
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:24:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Rob Drechsel writes:
In lugnet.general, Alex Farlie writes:

If you want Town Lego(R) lobby them, failing that stage a peacful protest
abut Jr outside TLC's offices. It worked when Crayola changed it's colors
didn't it?

Alex

Whoa, would anybody do this?

Rob

I can't find the thread, but there was a large discussion on this about a year
ago (maybe a little less, I forget exactly). At any rate, several different
propositions were made including the meta-boycott of juniorized sets,
boycotting ALL sets, having all AFOLs sit out in front of toy stores
nationwide to get press coverage, and several other suggestions. It didn't
really get off the ground, as I recall, because I think most people felt:

A. it would be detrimental to the company
B. it wouldn't result in the desired effect
C. it was immature (the sitting around outside of toy stores part, mostly)
D. it would give AFOLs a bad name in Lego's eyes, making us terrorists instead
of partners

Anyway, I think it more or less evolved into another mass-signed letter to the
company with information on things like how much we (AFOLs) spent on Lego, how
much we have (basically attempting to show our market share), and what our
desires were from the company...

As for me, I'm mostly dissappointed in Lego's stance on juniorization.
According to the company, it's actually HELPED them, while at the same time, I
see the juniorized themes (and the ugly ones) just sitting on shelves in
stores. Then of course they actually state in a recent press release that they
have to cut back, due in part to retailers having large stock piles of non-
selling lego that's all being discounted... In reality, I find it hard to
believe that juniorization is helping Lego. I find it more likely that they're
SAYING it's helped them to maintain a positive image of their descisions and
their company in general. Just seems like they're not willing to say they made
a mistake. Again, of course, that's just my view on the issue, biased as it
may well be...

DaveE