 General / 21974
Re: Next year
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.castle, lugnet.technic, lugnet.sports, lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 21:17:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bradley Dale writes:
He also gave me a scoop (I guess) about TLC plans for the coming years. More
Star Wars (we already knew).
Castle will be around for a couple more years,
then it might go away again.
Castle didn't go away, it just swung halfway around the world.  I like the
Ninja sets.  I haven't really bought much Knights Kingdom, is it like Castle
Jr. or something?  A new subtheme would be great.  I hope its the next
genration of forestmen.

Castle Jr would be a VERY ACURATE description of Knights Kingdom.
I won't buy it or town jr.

No news about pirates.
That's bad, I wanted Pirates to come back.

Soccer might be around for a few more years, with new sets next year.
That surprised me.  I thought there would be other Sport subthemes, like • hockey
and maybe golf.

Technic seems to be "in". It will be expanded (no word on how).
Funny, I haven't seen much of it around in stores.  I haven't gotten any for • at
least four years.

Arctic seems to be a big flop. They haven't sold much (Look forward to great
sets on discount!).
The three medium-sized Arctic sets were the first 2000 sets I got.  I knew • they
wouldn't last- just look at RES-Q, Outback, Space Port, and all of those other
"Sorry for the Town Jr., this is Town-like, okay?" themes.

He also told me that the reason TLC has juniorised its sets is that they are
marketing the toys toward a lower age group- 3 to 5 years
THREE TO FIVE??? That is awful.  Five to eight is awful.  Are they keeping
anything above ten?

UCS Star Wars-14+,  Mindstroms 12.

- and that kids are
more impatient these days.
No, TLC is more impatient these days!  They can't wait for a kid to turn • seven!

He said that trends change every 10 years,
generally. (only six more years of junior!)

Altoguh take a look at the Racers line. That is defintly not Jr in my opnion
and if we keep up the pressue (via Lego Direct) that JR will be very short
lived. I also think that Jr was thought up by the designers Lego(R) dumped and
we are going to have to wait 3 years for the New town...

If you want Town Lego(R) lobby them, failing that stage a peacful protest abut
Jr outside TLC's offices. It worked when Crayola changed it's colors didn't it?

Alex

Kevin Z