 Gaming / 1827
Re: Question about quality of Best Lock...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:22:01 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
My comments are all gaming related so I XFUT lugnet.gaming

I wouldn't allow it in a game I was GMing, and I probably wouldn't play in a
game where the GM was using it. (we had someone show up at GenCon with one, we
didn't let it onto the playing area but that was for perhaps different reasons)
But that's just me. It nevertheless is something to keep in mind I think.

Steve Jackson specifically mentions Best-Lock by name in his rules and his Okatu
(listing of ships appropriate to the game), so I take that as tacit admission
that he has no objection to them.

Or that he's being politically correct. Or trying to provide for people who
already have the stuff and might possibly start to game if given encouragement.
Or saying it's OK for others to use them if they want not necessarily that HE
uses them.

Besides, he's a gamer who happens to like LEGO. I'm a LEGO enthusiast who
happens to game. If he brings a Best-Lock ship to my game (and he's earned the
right to float a class 6, that's a mighty big jump from the class 1's we tend to
start people with) MAYBE I'll make an exception.

But I doubt it.

I take it you don't allow the higher-quality parts but spud-ugly awful
Crossbones Clipper?  :-)

It's LEGO so it's OK. But so far we haven't had many on offer at the chandlery
in games I've been involved in, We tend to give out ships with worse flaws for
the humor value.

It depends on how you want to equip it - most LEGO ships need more cannon, too.

Realistically, yes. For the game, I think one cannon per class is actually a
lot. A ship with 6 cannons (and 30 rigging and 60 hull boxes) is, I suspect,
going to absolutely destroy arbitrarily large numbers of class 1s... so much so
that it might not be much fun for players.

But that's as much an argument against letting someone sail the RBR they brought
in amongst the minnows as it is against letting this ship in...