 Gaming / 1839
1838  |  1840
Subject:
How can we take advantage of the brick?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:42:10 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Frank Filz wrote:
BrikWars would not be my system of choice. Actually, I've mostly decided
that the AFOL created systems aren't really worth it. None of them really
take advantage of the brick (BrikWars does to a minor extent, but then you
can disassemble things when destroyed using any system...), and I doubt any
of them have the level of playtesting of any of the miniatures systems I'm
examining.

I tend to agree.  We tried a couple of things to make BrikWars more
brick-centric: a system for minifigures to construct things mid-battle, the
Mechanix who can recombine blasted-apart vehicle fragments in new ways, etc. -
none of them ever really took off.  There hasn't seemed to be any obvious way to
rebalance the rules to encourage mid-battle construction; it's so far just never
quite found any intuitive fit into the strategic flow.

It's a question that comes up at the concept lab as well - what kinds of play
really revolve around or at least encourage building and rebuilding?
Traditionally Lego has been making sets that you build into toys, and once built
there's not a whole lot about the finished toy that encourages kids to modify,
reconstruct, recombine, etc.  (Hopefully the kids'll do that eventually anyway,
since it's Lego after all.)

It's really a pet issue of mine, I try to keep an eye out for games and toys
that do that kind of thing well - I think Hasbro is doing an awesome job with
Xevoz, for instance.  Once you buy the first one it's really hard to resist
going back and buying more and more to try and get the coolest figure and best
combinations of attack dice.  Galidor could've so easily been that cool!

Lego-company stuff aside (since I'm not actually allowed to talk about that),
what kind of game would really be good for taking advantage of the brick?
Obviously I wouldn't mind some ideas I could inject into BrikWars, but I'm
really just curious in general.  Lego's X-Pod Challenge and Constructionary
games aren't bad in that regard, and that Junkbot webgame has got a great game
mechanic that I'd love to see translated into physical bricks somehow.  What
would be a game that really took full opportunity of what a construction system
has to offer?