 Gaming / 1831
Re: Question about quality of Best Lock...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:37:12 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.gaming, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

Steve Jackson specifically mentions Best-Lock by name in his rules and his Okatu
(listing of ships appropriate to the game), so I take that as tacit admission
that he has no objection to them.

Or that he's being politically correct. Or trying to provide for people who
already have the stuff and might possibly start to game if given encouragement.
Or saying it's OK for others to use them if they want not necessarily that HE
uses them.

That all may be true, but I don't think any of that contradicts what I said.
The choice to be LEGO-centric is certainly up to the guy running the show, and I
certainly indicated that I'd not want to bother with non-LEGO figs, but I just
wish to make it clear that I don't see the actual rules supporting that.

Besides, he's a gamer who happens to like LEGO. I'm a LEGO enthusiast who
happens to game. If he brings a Best-Lock ship to my game (and he's earned the
right to float a class 6, that's a mighty big jump from the class 1's we tend to
start people with) MAYBE I'll make an exception.

You are playing the role-playing game, rather than the fleet battle game.  And
what can I say?  Like Steve, I am a gamer who likes LEGO and have no great
respect for LEGO purism for purism's sake within the context of a game beyond
the aesthetics of it.

But I doubt it.

Hey, if you provide all the ships, you can be as choosey as you want!  :-)

I take it you don't allow the higher-quality parts but spud-ugly awful
Crossbones Clipper?  :-)

It's LEGO so it's OK. But so far we haven't had many on offer at the chandlery
in games I've been involved in, We tend to give out ships with worse flaws for
the humor value.

No doubt.  :-)

It depends on how you want to equip it - most LEGO ships need more cannon, too.

Realistically, yes. For the game, I think one cannon per class is actually a
lot. A ship with 6 cannons (and 30 rigging and 60 hull boxes) is, I suspect,
going to absolutely destroy arbitrarily large numbers of class 1s... so much so
that it might not be much fun for players.

Comments about fleet action vs. role-playing noted above.

-->Bruce<--