 Gaming / 1830
1829  |  1831
Subject:
ESPG rules considerations (was Re: Question about quality of Best Lock...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.gaming
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:16:51 GMT

In lugnet.gaming, Frank Filz wrote:
Pearls of Wisdom from Lar:
Mindless Nattering by Dave:

I take it you don't allow the higher-quality parts but spud-ugly
awful Crossbones Clipper?  :-)

It's LEGO so it's OK. But so far we haven't had many on offer at the
chandlery in games I've been involved in, We tend to give out ships
with worse flaws for the humor value.

We have had almost no player supplied ships in the games I've run. We've
also not really got to the point of using really large ships. In the games
I've run, pretty much the ships have been supplied by me, and I don't bring
anything as ugly as the CBC.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but ya.

It depends on how you want to equip it - most LEGO ships need more
cannon, too.

Realistically, yes. For the game, I think one cannon per class is
actually a lot. A ship with 6 cannons (and 30 rigging and 60 hull
boxes) is, I suspect, going to absolutely destroy arbitrarily large
numbers of class 1s... so much so that it might not be much fun for
players.

From my perspective, I'm actually starting to think that a player would
generally be better off buying more smaller ships than one big ship.
Rotating cannon vs. broadside cannon makes quite a difference in firepower.

Yes, the swivel cannon is quite handy in a stern chase. Perhaps this is a flaw
in the rules, or perhaps it's a good thing.

Except that I think a class 6 against 6 class 1s can blow 2 or three of them out
of the water before they do much damage at all to it. Maybe we should run that
as an experiment!

But that's as much an argument against letting someone sail the RBR
they brought in amongst the minnows as it is against letting this
ship in...

The way I run the game, this would never happen. Everyone enters the game
with a cutter.

Precisely. Me either. And I have yet to see the game where one player starting
with a single class 1 earned his way to a class 6. If everyone started with 2s
or started with 3s maybe. But there is a lot of gold that needs to be blown on
debauchery which tends to cut into huge jumps.

If they earn a bigger ship, then they have earned it. Of
course most of the games I've run, the players have never really got to
benefit from their bigger ship.

Yes. In fact, circling back, I've seen that players do better buying lots of men
and keeping their class 1, and then TAKING class 1s from other folks instead of
buying a class 2. But part of that is because I still think grape is too
powerful, at least a bit.