 Gaming / 1087
  Elements of a brick oriented RPG

I've been thinking about combining my hobbies of The Brick and Role Playing. The question is what is the best way to go about it. Some questions I've been asking myself: 1. Do I go with an existing RPG and just use LEGO bricks to build sets? 2. Do I (...) (22 years ago, 14-May-02, to lugnet.gaming, lugnet.castle, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.space, lugnet.western)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) [snip] (...) Check out this (URL) started it a long time ago and have not had a chance to expand on it. Feel free to strip mine it for any ideas. It's Pure! Too Pure(dice). Best DaveG (22 years ago, 14-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

In lugnet.fun.gaming, Frank Filz writes: <Major snippage> (...) If you ask me, and this is just my opinion, a great set of movement based rules would be one following the Playstation game Final Fantasy Tactics. Here's how it works, and would (...) (22 years ago, 14-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

Frank, this sounds like a game I would love to play. I'm such a visual person that I feel like I miss out in standard RPG's. I like them, but a hint of physical world like LEGO would be cool. Here are my suggestions to your questions posed: (...) (...) (22 years ago, 14-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Probably the simplest, but I suspect difficult to capture the "feel" of a brick built game. My wife is in a 7th Seas campaign that routinely uses my LEGO projects as sets and backdrops; it seems to work quite well, although they use metal (...) (22 years ago, 14-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I think a lot of these questions will answer themselves if you can answer one question: who is the game intended for? Lego fans, role-playing fans, or something in between? The more you intend it to be for Lego fans or one-off convention (...) (22 years ago, 14-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Hmmm...a brick RPG? This sounds sweet, I would go about borrowing several aspects from other brick RPGs on the net, and adapting them to your respective tastes. (...) Definitely, I prefer Science Fiction, but Fantasy also works well, but try (...) (22 years ago, 14-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

Matt Hein wrote: < snip > Tonight when I'm on my own time as opposed to my employers, I'm going to give all of the responses so far some additional thought. I did want to throw out one quick thing though... Matt (and I think at least one other (...) (22 years ago, 14-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Interesting questions... ...and right up my alley too.... =) (...) Depends on how detailed you want the role-playing to be, and whether you want to design a game to accomodate that detail. *Time for a shameless plug (surprisingly the first (...) (22 years ago, 15-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Well, I do enjoy designing games (I've been a game designer almost as long as I've been playing war games - shortly after getting Tactics II, I designed a new board for it, I started fiddling with D&D [the original Basic D&D in the blue cover] (...) (22 years ago, 15-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Having got interested in 7th Sea about the same time as LEGO, I certainly considered a connection there... Actually, I think my interest in LEGO Pirate ships may have been an influence on checking out 7th Sea (a demo game which I was actually (...) (22 years ago, 15-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I am probably looking for something primarily for gamers, but it would be nice to make it attractive for AFOLs. (...) Hmm, have you ever taken pictures of your games? (...) Well, I don't have a group yet, so basically, part of what I will be (...) (22 years ago, 15-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) No, Tactics Ogre!! :D *runs away* Jeff (22 years ago, 15-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Yah. They certainly seem to have fun. :) I haven't looked at it too deeply, but the mechanics seem fairly clean. (...) Take a peek at Space Hulk. It's a board game spin-off of Warhammer, but it's got *good* two player good-guy/bad-guy balance. (...) (22 years ago, 15-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I find that games at cons are (obviously) one-off events, and I find one-off RPG's a bit lack-luster. They're great for introducing a new game or system, but I veiw RPG's as something that needs a time commitment to really enjoy; I want to see (...) (22 years ago, 15-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Well, you're not supposed to actually use them all, though. ;) They have a vast variety so you can choose which ones you want to give your settings more of a real folklore/mythological feel. Like an Arabian setting? You can just choose the (...) (22 years ago, 15-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Hey, I do know what an RPG is okay. I do remember what a scenerio is. Earlier this month, I enegged in some discussion on IOM, and I do say, when it comes to discussing the merits and open-endness of these, some people get really defensive on (...) (22 years ago, 15-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

As a long time gamer I thought I would make a few suggestions (...) If you plan to play locally with friends, i recommend us 3rd edition D&D. If you want quicker and easier for convention play, I suggest using brik war rules for the combat and (...) (22 years ago, 16-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

In lugnet.fun.gaming, James Brown writes: Oops - one snip too many, James is the single > (...) ...and Wargs, and Dragons, and Ents, and Hobbits, and Spiders, and Giants, and Elves, and Dwarves, and Really Big Eagles, and Sauron's Genetic (...) (22 years ago, 16-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I can't comment really on Traveller because my only experience is with the original dreadful system (fun to roll up characters, and that was it). RuneQuest experience was all about mini-maxing. I hated it almost as much as I hated the endless (...) (22 years ago, 16-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) This is probably the single most important consideration, since there have been plenty of Lego-RPGs that have come and gone over the last couple of years that failed because they were just standard RPGs with Lego elements tacked on in a shoddy (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Almost forgot - the other thing we used to do is build a whole bunch of dungeon 'modules' on the old green 10x20 bricks. We'd hide them under the table and asseble them together like dominoes as the players traveled further and further into (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I'm coming to the conclusion "LEGOizing" a game system won't be worthwhile. (...) I'm not thinking of stacks, but two dimensional arrays laid out on a plate. I have been trending to using arrays of mark off boxes on character sheets with the (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Dungeon scenarios don't have to be devoid of role playing. Actually, most of the Fantasy campaigns I have run have had a majority of the scenarios involve an underground or indoor location. Outdoor locations though can be the easiest to do if (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) When I ran a long term RQ campaign, what I did which eliminated the "ok, now I pull out my niblick and try and hit him with that" was to hand out a limited number of experience rolls. The I hit, he parries thing is a real problem though. (...) (...) (22 years ago, 17-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Rather than trying to "lego-ize" a game system, I would say just pick whatever game you and your friends want to play and use lego to augment it. My friends and I have been doing this for years. The first time was a 2nd edition AD&D campaign (...) (22 years ago, 18-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

Hi Frank and all, I just got around to reading this thread and it seems that you've already decided to bag the idea, but I wanted to make some comments. (...) I think this is the heaviest question here. Everything else stems from how this is (...) (22 years ago, 19-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Well, I haven't totally bagged the idea, plus, I'm always interested in exploring game mechanics. (...) True. (...) Good advice. I really need to get my behind down to some of the gaming events at the local stores. (...) Hmm, construction (...) (22 years ago, 20-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) One of the ideas I've been keeping on the back burner for BrikWars is a supplement for some kind of construction-campaign system. It's anybody's guess as to when (or if) this idea will ever get fleshed out, so I'd be just as happy to see it (...) (22 years ago, 20-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  RPG or PBM? (Was: Elements of a brick oriented RPG)

(...) This is a cool idea, but does it neccesitate no character advancement? Is the goal to just get away from the traditional RPG aspects, to simplify the rules, or something else? Would having both advancement mechanisms work? (...) So, the idea (...) (22 years ago, 20-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: RPG or PBM? (Was: Elements of a brick oriented RPG)

(...) I didn't really mean to exclude anything, I really just meant to raise the idea that character advancement isn't really an absolute necessity. The game would be a lot simpler if it were left out; in any case, with only four possible ratings (...) (22 years ago, 20-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: RPG or PBM? (Was: Elements of a brick oriented RPG)

(...) This concept is in fact an integral part of my own current project. I have been designing rules for a Castle-specific PBB wargame in conjunction with building a display that is built both with the rules in mind and with the intent of just (...) (22 years ago, 20-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Frank, can you explain this in more detail? I've been trying to reconcile the bits that you mention into a roll-resolution system and I'm not getting it. When you talk about generating digits, I'm thinking that you're rolling d10s as you would (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.gaming)

  (canceled)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

Geek warning: the following description is starting to get pretty geeky. I've set follow-ups to lugnet.off-topic.geek, see you there if you want to continue discussion... (...) Ok, First, for those who want to go into more depth of the math, you (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.gaming, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Um, it seems that you didn't. But I have included them and set FUT there. (...) MS Excel which is what I've been playing with to try to engineer this system. (...) Ah...there's the key. Like you say, the curve is way too steep at +/-1. I think (...) (22 years ago, 28-May-02, to lugnet.gaming, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Crud, you managed to respond to the one I realized was wrong and canceled... (...) There's quite possibly some slight errors. I remember the guy claimed you needed high precision computation to generate the table, it's possible he was using a (...) (22 years ago, 29-May-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Doh! Sorry. (...) I don't know about patents, but I have read several discussions that suggest that a game's core mechanics can not be protected IP, that only the turn of phrase with which they are explained and fleshed out can be (...) (22 years ago, 1-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Well, if computer algorithms are patentable, then the algorithms which form the core of a game system should be patentable (after all, a game system is just a "program" for "human computers"... Really, if you think about it, what is the (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Why? Is it just exciting to imagine it? (I like fight scenes in movies.) I particularly seek to reward my players for solving problems without combat. (...) I think the chance of dying should be real, if not certain, and the GM should (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I guess it's the wargamer in me which enjoys running tactical combats. I'll also admit to a bit of laziness (it's easier to throw a bunch of foes at the PCs than to come up with an interesting mystery). (...) I prefer not to fudge things, but (...) (22 years ago, 3-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) It's not that simple... the GM _has_ to fudge things to keep PCs alive. If the party is in the warp core engine room and someone chucks in a big ol' grenade, there's two choices-- someone throws himself on it and becomes goo, or nobody does so (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) <snip> (...) This sounds to me like a scenario which isn't designed correctly for the tone of the campaign the GM wants to run. I also question the bit: "but you do have to be flexible to get the story where it needs to go." To me that sounds (...) (22 years ago, 4-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Because I'd like my players to be happy. I could instead, decide about how long it takes for a saboteur to blow up the ship, and then after fifteen minutes of game time have passed, say, "The walls of the ship glow white-hot and then you don't (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I'm curious, was this an example of a real scenario, and I'm just missing things because there's no way you can compress a game session into a posting or two, or is this a constructed example? If the latter, it sounds like a poorly constructed (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) It was just a quick example off the top of my head-- certainly, any such example will have piles of nits one can pick, and that's sort of my point-- anything's gonna have those sorts of problems, and finding those problems is exactly what PCs (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) Ok, this points out a problem with constructions like this, they will have far more holes than something that was thought out. This particular construction is actually a good thought exercise for working out gming and campaign style. If (...) (22 years ago, 6-Jun-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Elements of a brick oriented RPG

(...) I did some more investigating and figured out some useful stuff... (...) Excel has a useful function NORMDIST, you can generate the above table using: =NORMDIST(A1,0,1,TRUE) Excel generates slightly different values: -3 .0013 -2 .0228 -1 .1587 (...) (22 years ago, 13-Aug-02, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)