 Events / BrickFest / 3892
  Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

Yes, Bley Sucks. I know that, Jeremy Rear knows that. And a good number of the rest of you out there know that too (maybe even a majority). But unfortunately, it looks like bley is hear to stay. I'm stuck in my dark (bley) ages as a result. I can't (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX) !

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) I won't be attending Brickfest so I'll just have to discuss/vent this with you online: I don't think I'll ever forgive LEGO for changing the colors. The absolute worst part is how they changed it suddenly and without warning. Even if they (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

I'm not going to BrickFest either, but: (...) I don't think it's so much of a matter of *switching* over so much as accepting bley in your collection and/or models. (...) You can use cool new pieces like 1x1 slopes, improved 2x2x2 slopes, those (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) All of the above was actually pretty easy to do. I just kept buying sets and building stuff. I freely mix the old and new greys and browns. If the color looks off at some point, I swap the part out till it looks right. I have a hard time (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) I will echo this without question. I would also mention that shortly after the change happened and people were avoiding these colors on Bricklink, I was buying while they were inexpensive. Even if you don't like the colors they are priced very (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) Yeah, this has pretty much been my approach. The difference is that I very rarely bought sets just to display, and now I don't buy any. Like Bryan, my set purchases are way down - most dramatically in the past year. The old color sets have (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) SNIPPAGE HAS OCCURRED (...) I too am limited to an online discussion of said topic... At first I felt like you. Angry frustrated, and unsure how to move forward. But once it was clear that there was no going back, I did two things: 1. I (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) Blown! I haven't heard that term before and I love it. It is going in my vocabulary now... -Matt :) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) Heeheehee! That made me Laugh Out Loud, thank you! (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) My opinion on the color change has held pretty firm since the beginning. As I thought then, and still do, the problems with the new colors are: They aren't the old colors. If you own 150,000 of the old greys, you can't expand your collection (...) (17 years ago, 21-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) You can count me in on that BrickFest discussion! I know I b****ed enough about bley back when it happened but I'm getting to a point in my creations that I have just had to say "Screw it! Just use it!" and both my bridges, Study 20 & 21, are (...) (17 years ago, 22-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) SNIPPAGE HAS OCCURRED (again) (...) I've read Vinyl Dye is better than paint, as it won't put a layer on that'll throw off the geometry of the bricks. Instead, it literally dyes the bricks the color of your choice. You can read more about it (...) (17 years ago, 22-Feb-07, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) I saw this on the UCS Falcon thread and didn't get around to commenting about some of the responses saying "Boy, I wish I hadn't sworn off bley, this is so cool"... I think you've answered it yourself: Only you lose out in the end--there are (...) (17 years ago, 25-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) What a last line... And I was enjoying your post until then as well ; ) I just can't embrace the bley (though I've picked up more than I meant to from those 'low percent' sets). It doesn't work (IMO) for stone/rock/cliff/castle and generally (...) (17 years ago, 25-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) I think you're right insofar as it doesn't quite match as well. And seeing the new light gray against the old really makes the new gray almost look a little pastel. So at first, yeah, I thought it looked awful as rock. But after seeing it get (...) (17 years ago, 25-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) I use both old-gray and bley indiscriminately. :o) Well, ok, not quite indisciminately, but I don't tend to worry about the change too much, and I'm a person who's very much a classic fan. I think part of the reason is that bley pieces tend to (...) (17 years ago, 26-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Calum Tsang wrote: Ultimately enthusiasts are the only ones which lose out if (...) Nicely put. I have been away from Lugnet for a long while - since the color controversy, actually - and it's nice to hear a voice of (...) (17 years ago, 27-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) I'm very pro-bley and love the extra grey colours but I think the term itself is a useful way of differentiating new and old. Tim (17 years ago, 27-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) Agreed, Tim. Especially in the recent MOCs including both old and new colors. As long as Ebay doesn't sue for infringement, bley is better than 'light stone' or 'medium cool grey number 20' or some such. Aaron (17 years ago, 27-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) Agreed, Tim. Especially in the recent MOCs including both old and new colors. As long as Ebay doesn't sue for infringement, bley is better than 'light stone' or 'medium cool grey number 20' or some such. Aaron (17 years ago, 27-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) Here's one of my older posts about the color change from just about 3 years ago: (URL) I was very much anti-new colors mostly due to me not liking to mix different hues of the same color in a MOC. So I was concerned at the time of potentially (...) (17 years ago, 27-Feb-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

Matt, Okay first off a little lesson to those who might be not so familure with color. There are 2 main types of color: Warm and Cool. Warm colors tend to be tinted by reds, oranges, yellows, basiclly "warm" feeling colors. Example: the old greys (...) (17 years ago, 14-Mar-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) Whoa. Look at the basepla--er, base of that engine! A real life mix old dark gray and dark bley! Steve (17 years ago, 14-Mar-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Dude, talk yourself into Classic Colors! :-)

I'm with ya, man! Even though the advent of bley and "blown" (hehheh) has seriously curtailed my purchasing of new sets and my enthusiasm for new product in general, it's not completely a bad thing for a few reasons: 1. I spend far less money per (...) (17 years ago, 16-Mar-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX) !

  Re: Dude, talk yourself into Classic Colors! :-)

Amen! (17 years ago, 17-Mar-07, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) It seems to me that piece counts per dollar are way up these days from where they were when I used to buy a lot of LEGO, although I suspect this is more of an attempt to stay competitive with clone brands than it is an attempt to pass along (...) (17 years ago, 17-Mar-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  One cool thing about being a nay-blay-er (IMHO)

We won't have access to all the new parts. Is that bad thing? In the case of a few of the new parts, definitely! The new 1x1 angled brick is one of the best new parts in years. Ditto the new 1x1 tooth plate. However, as nay-blay-ers, we will have (...) (17 years ago, 18-Mar-07, to lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

--snip-- (...) I really find it hard to see how the colour change would have been detrimental to TLG in any meaningful way. Perhaps you can elaborate on the idea because I just can't see any connection. Tim (17 years ago, 18-Mar-07, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) The company's trajectory over the past decade certainly implies that something took a dig at their business. Late 90's: company in financial trouble, saved by unexpected popularity of MindStorms and Bionicle product lines. Early 2000's, (...) (17 years ago, 18-Mar-07, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) Folks-- I don't think "bley" itself was the problem. Good heavens, if a shift in color was sending TLC down the tubes, they were in worse shape then anyone could imagine. No, I suspect the real issue lies deeper than that. Let's try looking at (...) (17 years ago, 18-Mar-07, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) As Matthew said, I don't think the color change was a major factor in TLC's business problems. It certainly changed my buying habits, but I'm a minority of a minority among LEGO buyers. On the other hand, the color change needlessly (...) (17 years ago, 18-Mar-07, to lugnet.color, FTX)

  Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest

(...) As Marc says the colour change affected a minority within a minority. Hardly likely to be a destructive force for the companies fortunes. Yes TLG support AFOLs and generally try to keep them happy but they are a very insignificant minority in (...) (17 years ago, 18-Mar-07, to lugnet.color, FTX)