 Events / BrickFest / 3899
Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 23:54:18 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:
   Yes, Bley Sucks. I know that, Jeremy Rear knows that. And a good number of the rest of you out there know that too (maybe even a majority).

But unfortunately ,,

   -Matt :)

My opinion on the color change has held pretty firm since the beginning. As I thought then, and still do, the problems with the new colors are:
  • They aren’t the old colors.
  • If you own 150,000 of the old greys, you can’t expand your collection of parts and new models.
  • New parts won’t come out in the old colors
  • Train track (straights, curves, crosses, and switches) won’t match.
  • If LEGO is comfortable killing such a basic feature of the core LEGO system, there’s nothing LEGO might not “improve” someday.
  • With these new industry stock colors, from a distance, you can’t tell a stack of mixed LEGO parts from a stack of mixed Megablocks.
The only good news is that these are “better” colors and, if they are cheaper and/or easier to get, well, good for LEGO (hey! where’s my discount?!)

So, deep down the issue is that LEGO mucked with something we viewed as immutable and permanent. If they can change this, nothing’s sacred.

The flip side is, we’re crying about a pigment change while the entirety of The LEGO Company is going through the worst wringer of its history. It’s getting out the molding business, the packing business, and the distribution business which means its losing thousands of career jobs. LEGO gave up its theme parks, including the almost 40 year flag ship park in Billund. We should just be thankful there’s a LEGO Company left to complain about (and to) and that our favorite fun thing hasn’t gone the way of all the other legacy creations like Erector Sets, American Flyer trains, etc.

Besides, the gray change is nothing compared to what’s happening/not happening with 9v trains...

-Ted Michon