 Color / 1321
Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.color
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2007 18:01:05 GMT

In lugnet.color, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.color, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --snip--

   Who knows? Maybe if somebody within TLC had “cried about pigment change” before it was too late, they could have avoided some of this pain?

I really find it hard to see how the colour change would have been detrimental to TLG in any meaningful way. Perhaps you can elaborate on the idea because I just can’t see any connection.

The company’s trajectory over the past decade certainly implies that something took a dig at their business. Late 90’s: company in financial trouble, saved by unexpected popularity of MindStorms and Bionicle product lines. Early 2000’s, company expands into retail sales in several countries. Mid 00’s: company implements color change, shattering the adult fan base. Late 2006: company announces outsourcing of all manufacturing, packaging, and order fulfillment, sells off real estate holdings, and announces layoffs of 75% of their workforce.

If the expansion into retail was what caused the problem then they would be shutting it down now, but they don’t seem to be doing that. On the other hand, the Ambassador program, more sophisticated model designs, and better brick/buck ratios all seem like attempts to woo back the AFOLs who seem to have abandoned the hobby recently.

If not bley, then what exactly do you suggest caused this sudden reversal of fortunes?

Folks--

I don’t think “bley” itself was the problem. Good heavens, if a shift in color was sending TLC down the tubes, they were in worse shape then anyone could imagine.

No, I suspect the real issue lies deeper than that.

Let’s try looking at products that nobody wanted (Galidor) or could afford, massive repetition in things like Model Team and Technic lines, product that was not part of the core of what made LEGO what it is (like bedding and clothes), massive repetition in things like Model Team and Technic lines, recycling ideas that worked once (Blacktron 2, anyone?), massive repetition in things like Model Team and Technic lines, a certain lack of available product, and possibly a massive repetition in things like Model Team and Technic lines...coupled with weak advertising, too much time and money spent on developing video games that tied in weakly to existing product (such as LEGO Island--did anyone ever see a “LEGO Island” theme, where you could actually build the island? Or, did I miss that?), massive repetition in things like Model Team and Technic lines, and massive repetition in things like Model Team and Technic lines.

Or, it simply could have been “We were here first, we’re the best, and folks will come around to our way of thinking.” I personally don’t think that’s the case.

Bley certainly factors into this for many of you--but frankly, it just didn’t affect me at all. (I don’t have the amount of bricks that many of you do, so I have had to learn to get creative at times with things like color shading, etc.)

Bionicle and Mindstorms certainly helped turn things around--but I suspect that opening the retail stores are an experiment of sorts, and may or may not be around forever. (Personally, I’d like to see these expanded; I’d like to drive to my local mall to get bulk brick. I can get what I need quickly, with no shipping, and in Oregon, no sales tax.)

I will say that the other “turnaround” has been massive licensing. Star Wars, Harry Potter--those are fortuitous. Dora the Explorer as well. SpongeBob...(yuck...) I suppose that helped, too.

The Ambassador program, more sophisticated model designs--these will, over time, show the AFOL base that TLC is interested in those of us who are adults. (Or, if you’re like me, a 40+ year old kid. I may be getting older, but I don’t have to grow up...!) I’ve already sounded off in a post on the Ambassador program--I don’t see too many other companies following suit here--and if you ask me, Model Team has resurfaced in the New Cafe’ Corner. It’s a beaut, and even at the price, will be worth the cost.

Better brick/buck ratios? Hate to say this, but LEGO has always had a bad ratio here. Part of that is quality, part of that is name, part of it has been there since I was a little kid. I don’t ever really see that changing. It might get a little better, but I am not holding my breath.

So, now that I’ve probably ripped this waaaaaay out of context, I’ll get out of the pulpit now....

Play Well and Prosper!

Matthew