 Events / BrickFest / 3895
Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:31:32 GMT

I’m not going to BrickFest either, but:

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Matthew J. Chiles wrote:
   But dang it, there are a lot of cool new sets out that are full of bley. Is it worth “switching over”?

I don’t think it’s so much of a matter of *switching* over so much as accepting bley in your collection and/or models.

   Explain the benefits

You can use cool new pieces like 1x1 slopes, improved 2x2x2 slopes, those slick new wheel wells, etc, etc. Plus, you can buy new sets without throwing away the bley.

   show how you have integrated bley into your collection,

PAINFULLY.

This is probably the thing about the color change that will forever keep me annoyed at it, because I have to deal with it whenever I sort anything. New colors go in one place, old colors go in another. And sure enough, new colored bricks occasionally creep their way into the old color bins, and it’s difficult to spot them.

Maybe if you have better vision or lighting than I do you can distinguish the new colors instantly. I can usually tell relatively easily with the browns or the dark grays whether they’re new or old. But light gray drives me NUTS. It’s easier when you’re sorting a bunch of new sets, because you know everything’s the new colors (EXCEPT in some sets from 2004/2005 which have BOTH old and new colors).

But even then, you’re left with quandries about where to store that blue minifig torso that has new light gray arms. Or whether you care that much about technic bushing colors being different. In my case, I unquestioningly seperate ALL bricks, plates, tiles, and slopes into new/old bins. Other elements may or may not get mixed together, depending on the element. In general, minifig related items and technic get mixed together, other elements are usually segregated.

   how you build with it, and how (or if) you combine it with old greys.

Building with it is mostly ok, except (obviously) when it comes to integrating it with old colored pieces. I find that the browns and dark grays are a pretty stark contrast, and you probably shouldn’t mix them in your models unless you’re actually trying to get a 2-tone effect.

In some cases, the 2-toned effect can be used to your advantage, as pointed out in the Lego Master Builder’s Venator model, which used both colors very well in some places. In general, if you’re going for a mottled look, I’m not too much of a fan of it in dark gray or gray. Maybe in brown. But if you’re emphasizing the two-tone elsewhere, it can look pretty good. Like having, say, inner engine rings in old dark gray and outer engine rings in new dark gray. Or something similar.

Light grays are tricky. The two-tone effect is a little stranger, and I find it looks more like a mistake than intentional. In a flat plane like a wall or a floor, the color differences are immediately obvious-- it’s a visual splinter in my eye. Elsewhere, the effect is a bit muted. For instance, I’ve got what I’m sure are old gray and new gray minifig hands, but I can’t tell the difference for the life of me. Rounded surfaces (the smaller the diameter the better) appear to be far less obvious. Also, if the grays are seperated by a significant distance, even on a flat plane, the difference in color isn’t nearly as glaring (although it can still be noticeable).

Some people have complained that they don’t like the look of the new colors, as the bluish quality of the grays doesn’t lend itself as nicely to organic creations like rock (I can hear the castle-heads lamenting this as I type). Personally, I dunno. I don’t think I’m convinced that there’s a significant loss. I mean, sure, I’ll admit the older colors were slightly better before, but I find it’s so slight that it’s hardly worth mentioning. After seeing castles and landscapes built in the new colors, I don’t think they’re all that bad.

DaveE