 Events / BrickFest / 3799
Re: BrickFest 2007 location
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 01:27:00 GMT

Kirsten Lynch wrote:
option.

We need one event to plan and pool our time and resources >into, and if we begin
to splinter into "The DC BrickFest", "The Midwest >BrickFest", and the "West
Coast BrickFest", the entire thing is going to fall apart >around us.

I really do not think so--BrickFest DC may always be the "granddaddy" but there
is plenty of room for others. NW BrickCon has grown every year (and the more it
grows, the better for me-if they still continue to get their badges from me).
They have their own way of doing it and from what everyone I have talked to,
they all enjoyed it immensely. Even BricksWest with all it attendant baggage was
from what I gather a success for the attendees.

If outreach and recruitment to the ranks is a goal, then regional ones are
definitely a plus.

Each can have, and have had their own flavor and emphasis.

And then as things shake out, perhaps do a BCS Bowl type thing--Say there are 4
or 5 well established events throughout the country --then every year the
"definitive event" --the National Championship game would rotate between them.
Or the 4 or 5 could vie for dominance by what they have to offer.

But from a geographic standpoint--it seems to me need at least East,
MidWest,SouthWest(including California), perhaps South--and NorthWest (already
established.)

And if funds available, at least the best MOC's of the various events could be
shipped to the others "on loan" like art museums do it. That might get touchy,
but I think would work.

In the hobby I am most familiar with, mineral collecting, there are like 4
"major shows" in the USA--Two put on by clubs and two by a professional
promoter. The Tuscon show is the biggie and is sponsored by the Tuscon Club,
SpringField Mass is put on by a professional promoter, Denver, from what I
gather a kind of combination, and one in California. The "holy grail" or "Mecca"
is Tuscon, the one everyone wants to attend--but the others and even the local
shows put on by local clubs-are important and can yield some great eye candy and
finds.

I kind of see the LEGO thing the same way--BrickFest as the biggie, but the
other ones as important. That is predicated on the fact that BrickFest can
continue to grow and get better every year, as it has so far.

I agree that you can perhaps have too many--but do not think this community has
even scratched its potential.

Just some thoughts.

Tommy Armstrong

Oh, and lets not forget our Northern Neighbors, Canada.