 Events / BrickFest / 3790
Re: BrickFest 2007 location
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 19:26:23 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, John Watson wrote:

I know I speak selfishly.  If there's no BrickFest 2007 in Washington, my son
and I will be sorely disappointed.  But do not underestimate the loyal fan base
that BrickFest has amongst the public in the DC region.  I'm sure we're not the
only ones who come back year after year.

So, think "both", not "instead".

John

I don't think having more than one BrickFest is a viable option.

We need one event to plan and pool our time and resources into, and if we begin
to splinter into "The DC BrickFest", "The Midwest BrickFest", and the "West
Coast BrickFest", the entire thing is going to fall apart around us.

Yes, it will be awful to those in the DC area who look forward to BrickFest
every year... but what about those folks in other parts of the country who have
yet to experience it, read about it online, only to know they will never be able
to bring their 8 year old to BrickFest because they can't afford it?  Maybe, if
BrickFest started to rotate cities each year, others would get that chance, too.

I see no issues with BrickFest leaving Washington, DC.  No matter what city it
moves to, it will still be a great time!!  Granted, no matter where it goes,
there will still be people who have issues with the location.

If it moves to Atlanta, attendees have to deal with high prices and massive
traffic.

If it moves to Chicago, attendees have to deal with even higher prices and even
more traffic.  (I was there the week of this year's BrickFest and it was NOT
pretty up there with all of the road construction currently in progress!  It is
a multi-year project.)

If it moves out west, the east coasters will be annoyed.

If it stays out east, the west coasters will be annoyed.

If it goes to a city without a LEGO store, those who enjoy the shopping aspect
of the weekend will be annoyed.  (Although, there are probably solutions for the
shopping issue.)

If it goes to Chicago, with three LEGO stores, those who don't shop will
complain because everyone else is stuck in Chicago traffic trying to get to /
from the three LEGO stores.

If it leaves DC, those non-registered attendees who come during the public show
will be disappointed because the show moved.

Maybe an approach is to list out all of the pros and all of the cons for each
city in the running for the next BrickFest, and then prioritize each point.
Next, go systematically down the list until we end up with a clear candidate.
My guess is that, after listing out everything everyone needs and wants in a
"BrickFest City", and then what is most important to us as attendees, that a
clear winner will emerge.  We might even be surprised by the results!

An example of how I might work through one item on the list of pros and cons...

Direct flights are nice, but those are, more often than not, the most expensive
flights, so selecting a city based on the highest number of direct flights may
not be the best barometer for price.  I've traveled nearly every week since I
joined Accenture in 2000 and have flown hundreds of times, to most of the larger
airports in the country.  Cincinnati is a hub for Delta, with many direct
flights.  I can get plane tickets 1/2 off (or more!) by driving 45 minutes up
the road to Dayton and connecting back through Cincinnati onto the same direct
flight I would have taken out of Cincinnati.  I've saved up to $1,000 doing
that.  By that reasoning, I would personally rank the direct flight to / from
the host city requirement pretty low.

Hey, I am always willing to sit in an airport and read for 2 hours if it means
I'm going to save $700. ;)

Another example: A round-trip, direct-flight ticket to DC may cost $318, and
$418 to Indy.  Sure, it looks like instant savings to go to DC, but the cost of
living is much less in Indy!  Food and lodging costs in general will be much
lower in Indy, thus saving you in the long run. ;)

So, maybe, the BrickFest folks come up with the over all pros / cons matrix and
those who volunteer to fill it out, do so and provide feedback.  Those matrices
can then be compiled by the BrickFest folks and they can use them to assist in
their final decision on location.

Just an idea.

Personally, I don't think a decision should be this difficult.  I'm in the,
"Just announce a city and go with it," club. ;)  I am happy as long as I have my
friends to hang with, a nice hotel to sleep at, and food to eat.  I enjoy both
Indianapolis and Chicago!  I don't mind DC, it's just a long drive.  I'll be
there, no matter what!

Kirsten