 Events / BrickFest / 3798
Re: BrickFest 2007 location
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 22:38:34 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Frank Filz wrote:
David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.events.brickfest, Mark Neumann wrote:
I disagree.  This has already happened.  It's called NWBrickCon.
You might of heard of it.

Well, I don't think that's necessarily the point. I think there are a
few sub issues here:

1) There should only be one major Lego convention every year
2) There shouldn't be MORE major Lego conventions every year
3) BrickFest shouldn't divide its funds and energies into multiple
fests per year

I think our hobby is large enough to sustain multiple fests. Sure, most
folks will only attend one per year. Other folks are willing, able, and
excited, to attend multiple.

- Mucho snippo -

In the end, I think all of the following are healthy:

- Big event that is always in the same place.

- Big event that rotates around the country (world).

- Many smaller events, some that occaisionally rival the bigger events (for
example, in the science fiction world where I'm familiar with things, Boston
had a SF con with annual attendance that exceeded the smaller World Cons).

Frank

Comparisons with SF cons are pretty valid - especially if you consider HoB's
affiliation with one in Chicago. In the end, I think it'll come down to fan
saturation and "market" pressures - what venues will be able to sustain
gatherings, and what groups of people will be willing to do it year after year.

Overall, I'd agree with Frank that having multiple non-worldwide events is good;
it's a sign of a healthy fan base. For example, I'm really looking forward to NW
BrickCon, this'll be my third year and it's always a blast. BrickFest is always
fun too, but for different reasons (for me). And I've been to several show-type
events with my local club.

I'll attend as many events as I can afford, and that the wife will tolerate.

- Kelly