 Events / BrickFest / 3794
Re: BrickFest 2007 location
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 21:22:05 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Mark Neumann wrote:
I disagree.  This has already happened.  It's called NWBrickCon.  You might
of heard of it.

Well, I don't think that's necessarily the point. I think there are a few sub
issues here:

1) There should only be one major Lego convention every year
2) There shouldn't be MORE major Lego conventions every year
3) BrickFest shouldn't divide its funds and energies into multiple fests per
year

As for 1) and 2), I half-heartedly agree. I can budget and plan for something
like BrickFest maybe once a year. But 2? 3? More? Guh, I'd love to, but time and
money quickly become a huge factor.

BrickFest is great, and I'm assuming NWBrickCon and BrickFest PDX are too, but
it's disappointing to me that it seems like I'll never meet all the west coast
folks. They'll go to their conventions, and the east costers will go to
BrickFest.

But if BrickFest travelled around every year, without all the other events going
on, chances are the attendance at BrickFest would include more people from a
more diverse area. Also, it gives more people a chance to attend a BrickFest.
All the lucky people in the DC area have had 7 BrickFests to attend, but there's
tons more people in other cities who WOULD go if BrickFest were close, but won't
(or can't) make the journey to DC.

But that's not an ideal solution, either, since it's clearly lots of fun to put
these events together and attend them-- so having more fests per year and per
area DOES increase the amount of people who can have a chance to go to events
like this. And, for the sake of the Lego Company, it increases their exposure
(I'm sure they'd love for us to have more fests!). If (as per the above)
BrickFest were the only thing, and were a travelling convention, what happens
when it's on the east coast or the midwest for a year? All the west-coast people
who only go to local fests don't end up going to a fest that year.

So, no easy way to slice it. But I do admit that I wish there were one
"definitive" event every year.

As for 3), I'm sure you'd probably agree that BrickFest simply isn't the type of
organization that can manage bunches of fests every year. Not unless it became a
full time job for people, or simply entrusted the BrickFest name to other groups
(a la PDX) who could organize them pretty much independantly.

DaveE