 Education / *150 (-100)
  New Site

I have created a new site as a reference for educators using RoboLab in the classroom. I would love to have some of you visit the site and provide feedback. At present we have only a few examples, but we are working on adding many more. The most (...) (23 years ago, 22-Mar-01, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.robotics.events.robot-arena, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.loc.us.in) !

  Student Nomination for Lego Media

Howdy, This is a reply to LEGO Media's call for interesting and innovating students of LEGO. I thought to share here as well, as this is the kind of student I would like to see our classrooms produce. There is a group of kids I work with who are all (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Elementary Lego Mindstorm Robotics Club

I think John has some great suggestions. In addition you may want to check if your retailer gives a discount to teachers. My local Zany Brainy takes off 10%. Maggie C. (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Elementary Lego Mindstorm Robotics Club

(...) Regarding supplies, irt is easier and cheaper to do purchasing outside the usual school procedures. These limit options and usually result in HIGHER prices. If you have any local merchants - toys or such - that carry Lego, see if you can cut a (...) (23 years ago, 26-Feb-01, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: LEGO sighting on TV

(...) Oh my! (...) That's COOL! I wish my teachers when I was a kid had used LEGO bricks as illustation materials! --Todd (23 years ago, 5-Feb-01, to lugnet.general, lugnet.edu)

  Re: Elementary Lego Mindstorm Robotics Club

Garette, would you please post something about how you're doing with this. I just got a go-ahead to do a smaller versions, with 3 Mindstorms and 6 kids.. Looking for any curriculum and materials! Thanks.. (23 years ago, 2-Feb-01, to lugnet.edu)

  New Aqua Engineering Class!

Howdy, ....just posted a new class that uses LEGO elements! Check out: (URL) (23 years ago, 2-Feb-01, to lugnet.edu)

  LEGO Lab Giveaway

Howdy, ...my company is giving away an Edventures LEGO Lab as part of a promotion. Visit ( (URL) ) The Lab was designed for afterschool-enrichment environments and includes LEGO® materials, digital camera, custom designed cabinet, and a (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Shame, Shame...."plastic" rubber tires in new technic

Howdy, Never sat down and figured out the friction coefficient for the different LEGO tires. However, over the years I have hosted numerous "hill-climb", "King of the Hills", "Tug of War" and "Tractor Pull" type contests. Usually, kids will grab the (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.edu)

  Re: Shame, Shame...."plastic" rubber tires in new technic

The plastic wheels work well when you cannot use a clutch gear or pulley belt to protect a motor from excessive resistance. Rrubber wheels do not yield well on some driving surfaces when an obstacle stops the vehicle. Plastic wheels spin and, so, (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.technic, lugnet.edu)

  First LEGO Mindstorms book accessible to students of all ages

(URL) has the current links to how you can pre-order (and pre-view if you are an educator) a copy of "Creative Projects with LEGO Mindstorms". It is due out in March. I already know of middle school teachers through college professors that have (...) (23 years ago, 2-Jan-01, to lugnet.edu)

  Free HOMESCHOOL Class

Howdy all, PCS Edventures.COM partnered with Homeschool.com to produce an inquiry based project that uses LEGO elements at (URL) come and check it out! I appreciate any and all comments/feedback. The big slant involves the Glenn Commission Report. (...) (24 years ago, 28-Nov-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Information needed

Howdy, ...setting up school and afterschool LEGO lab environments is my specialty. Take a look at www.weirdrichard.com! Richard rwright@pcsedu.com www.weirdrichard.com (...) (24 years ago, 25-Oct-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Information needed

I'm doing my term paper for psychology on the use of LEGO bricks in education. If anyone could supply me with a good list of sites to cover not only how LEGO is used in the classroom but also why it works so well. I have my own general ideas on this (...) (24 years ago, 21-Oct-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Using LEGO blocks to teach mathematical concepts

Howdy, ...very nice! I had nto seen that article. Personally, I think that LEGO elements can very easily work in math class settings. For some examples, check out: (...) (24 years ago, 17-Oct-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Using LEGO blocks to teach mathematical concepts

Just thought this webpage I found was rather interesting. Scroll down to where LEGO is used.(#5) (URL) (24 years ago, 13-Oct-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Book thought...

I'd like to go on and on about it, but I haven't heard the official word yet as to what I should/could say and not say. The publisher is Addison Wesley Longman, and I'm really not positive when it will be out (don't know how long it takes for (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Re: Book thought...

Being lazy, I was hoping that would be the case :-) When will it be out? Who's publishing? Thanks! -Peter "Ben Erwin" <ben@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message news:G1xADI.33s@lugnet.com... (...) late (...) books, (...) concepts (...) RCX (...) in (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Re: Book thought...

I have just finished this EXACT book, so I'm sorry, but its a little too late to collaborate. :) And although the audience is broader than the other books, i certainly have not left adults out, as there are plenty of advanced concepts in the book as (...) (24 years ago, 4-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Book thought...

So, I've been coaching this FLL team for a while now, and also watching my 9 year old daughter's use of Mindstorms and Technic and a book idea has been forming in my head. I'm wondering if anyone else is already working on such a book, in which case (...) (24 years ago, 3-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  NJRC 2000 in Singapore

Hi, educators This may be of interest to people who have to organise or prepare kids to take part in robotics competitions. The National Junior Robotics Competition (NJRC) 2000 which is in its 2nd year running, was held from 5-7 Sep in Singapore. (...) (24 years ago, 2-Oct-00, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.loc.sg, lugnet.edu)

  Re: Suggestions for prizes?

(...) 3038- Spider Slayer seems to be on final clearance for $14.98 at many TRUs around the country. I can still find this item near me as of last week, so if anyone is looking for it, let me know and I'll see what I can do. If you are VERY lucky (...) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  Re: Suggestions for prizes?

Head to your local TRU they did have some really cheap cyber slam sets. I got a spider slayer for $15.00 and a second one for $7.50 because the box was severely mutilated. Both sets are complete, big and feature a motor along with a lot of little (...) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  FLL Team/Robotics Class information

I finally got around to posting some of the lesson plans, homework, etc. for FLL Team #1096 (The Unibots) to lugnet. Eventually this will all move to the school's web site, but until I get access to my little corner of the school web site, I am (...) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Plano 1258 storage for Classroom Robotics

I got enough requests for the PDF version of my box labels that I put them up on Brickshelf: (URL) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.storage, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Attribute blocks

Math teachers for grades 1 - 9 use Attribute Blocks to teach relational logic with math manipulatives. Similarly, we can use Lego blocks as attribute manipulatives to teach relational logic, e.g.,: - Classify blocks and put them in sets. - Identify (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Suggestions for prizes?

Hi all, I'm coaching an FLL team, and we are beginning to have some intra-team competitions as a way to get some practice, etc. before the real deal begins. What I'm looking for are some suggestions for small prizes (I'm not made out of money, or (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  Re: Writing A Proposal

In lugnet.publish, Suzanne D. Rich writes: <nifty book> Cool (...) Where in the ULR do we need to insert the /lugnet/, and at what step. For instance, showing us where it goes in the following URLs might be helpful. (or are they not what you were (...) (24 years ago, 22-Sep-00, to lugnet.cad.datfest, lugnet.publish, lugnet.edu, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: learning by age bracket? (was.....

Howdy, (...) Yes. About a billion of them. In theory, each state's curriculum standards reflect this. You might want to take a look at the National Association for the Education of Young Children's "Guidelines for Appropriate Curriculum Content and (...) (24 years ago, 21-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: learning by age bracket? (was.....

Aside from the thread on gender and learning -- which I'm steering clear of -- what about learning wrt age ranges? Are there any generally-accepted, broadbased guidelines for learning approaches best suited for different ages? this could mean lesson (...) (24 years ago, 21-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Modelling boolean gates with trains

(...) For those of a mathematical disposition, I vaguely remember an article on the subject of building computing logics out of train tracks in 'Eureka' (the annual journal of the Cambridge University undergraduate math society, the Archimedeans) a (...) (24 years ago, 20-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.edu, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Modelling boolean gates with trains

(...) If NOT is reversing direction, than 1 is forward and 0 is back. (Or the other way around; whatever.) But I'd be curious to hear how you envision more complicated logic! (24 years ago, 20-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.edu, lugnet.trains)

  Modelling boolean gates with trains

Okay, this might be totally impossible (or insane or banal), but has anyone modelled boolean functions on a train layout (System or Duplo)? At the moment I'm thinking "train on the line"=1, "not on the line"=0. NOT could be done by reversing the (...) (24 years ago, 20-Sep-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.edu, lugnet.trains)

  Re: New

Howdy, ...congrats! I look forward to any questions or insights into integrating Legos into education! Richard rwright@pcsedu.com www.weirdrichard.com (...) (24 years ago, 18-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  New

Hi, I just joined. (24 years ago, 17-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Plano 1258 storage for Classroom Robotics

Howdy, ...very nice! I still like my school's design with a mobile cart and removeable tubbies for the majority of parts. ( Take a look at (URL) for an example ). There are so many Lego elements in our labs, the stowaway boxes can become difficult (...) (24 years ago, 15-Sep-00, to lugnet.storage, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Legos and Optics

Howdy all, I recieved some email from a fellow working on a senior project involving using everyday objects in physics education. Specifically he is curiously about building optical instruments with Legos. Here is what I came up with.... (...) (24 years ago, 15-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: math 5-year-old child 1 x n bricks overlapping courses

(...) LEGO Cuisenaire Rods! Of course there are a few missing pieces to make a proper set, you need: 1x1 white 1x2 red 1x3 bright green (yea right!) 1x4 magenta (yea right!) 1x5 yellow (good luck!) 1x6 green 1x7 black (good luck!) 1x8 brown 1x9 blue (...) (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  math 5-year-old child 1 x n bricks overlapping courses

The 5-year-old child discovered "higher" math with 1 x n bricks. The child played into a structural 1x brick goal of a 12-stud assembly. Needing to lock the first course (row) of 3 4-stud bricks by overlapping the second row, the child discovered a (...) (24 years ago, 14-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

Ralph Hempel <rhempel@bmts.com> wrote in message news:000201c01ceb$43...@pro150... (...) (More (...) I've been involved with education for over a decade (judging science fairs, PTA, School Site Council, etc.) I've just *finally* gotten the (...) (24 years ago, 12-Sep-00, to lugnet.storage, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  RE: Plano 1258 storage for Classroom Robotics

(...) Yay hooray! It's great that you're getting involved with education... (...) I've just showed this to my better half and she finally "gets" why I spend time putting seemingly useless stuff up on the web. It's because someone, somewhere might (...) (24 years ago, 12-Sep-00, to lugnet.storage, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Plano 1258 storage for Classroom Robotics

I recently started a FIRST Lego League team at my daughter's school. (More about that can be found in lugnet.edu). As we get prepared for the challenge, I am using a variety of team exercises for small teams of 2-4 students. Each team needed a (...) (24 years ago, 12-Sep-00, to lugnet.storage, lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Teaching/Coaching Robotics -- Day 1

Well! It's been a lot of work from vision to reality, but FLL Team #1096 (Kathryn Hughes Elementary) had its first meeting last Thursday. I thought I'd share with people here what I'm doing, in hopes of getting some exchange of ideas going in this (...) (24 years ago, 11-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Architecture project

I'm taking an architecture class this semester, so for my first project*, I created a fairly scale (1 ft=1 stud) LEGO version of my design: (URL) dark gray is meant to be a 4x4 grid of stone slabs, brown is brick, light gray is concrete, and green (...) (24 years ago, 9-Sep-00, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.build.arch, lugnet.general) !

  Re: More Thoughts about Girls and Legos

Howdy, (...) Not so. There may be psychological barriars, but I suspect they are learned ones. In the Lego Lab environment I observed the same interest in building and creating with both genders. The differences came from teaching strategies and the (...) (24 years ago, 18-Aug-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: More Thoughts about Girls and Legos

(...) Interesting list... maybe it's because it's a "classroom environment" list that "wanting to learn something" is missing as a motivation? A comment on our education systems generally... Kevin ---...--- Personal Lego Web page: (URL) Air Market: (...) (24 years ago, 17-Aug-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: More Thoughts about Girls and Legos

(...) There's a sex-based "don't play with lego" gene?!? :-) Bruce (I think one could better point the finger at social and cultural traditions) (24 years ago, 16-Aug-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: More Thoughts about Girls and Legos

(...) <snip> (...) Yeah. I spend a lot of time with my own thoughts about girls and Legos [1]. I expected a different post, somehow. eric 1] Not at the same time. Usually. (24 years ago, 16-Aug-00, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

  Re: More Thoughts about Girls and Legos

(...) Well, I'll have to go and semi-agree with the statement. However, I think that what the statement was implying vs. what it said by the letter was a bit different. I think that I would say something along the lines of "male and female minds (...) (24 years ago, 16-Aug-00, to lugnet.edu)

  More Thoughts about Girls and Legos

Howdy, ...I was just reviewing the debates that ran on gender issues and science at the Nature website late last year. ( (URL) ) One email posting that stated that the "cognitive differences between men and women" is one explaination for the gender (...) (24 years ago, 16-Aug-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Legos and Line Plots

Howdy, ...my mother-in-law teaches middle school math, and I have been taking her lessons and rewriting them so that they use LEGOs. The following is an example...enjoy! Richard rwright@pcsedu.com www.edventures.com Title: Making LEGO Line Plots (...) (24 years ago, 15-Aug-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Legos and Philosophy

Howdy all, ...I had an exchange of emails with a professor in Mississippi concerning teaching statistics and philosophy with Legos. I thought this might be of some interest to some of you out there. Enjoy Richard rwright@pcsedu.com (...) (24 years ago, 19-Jul-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Newsletter

Howdy, ...check out our newsletter featuring some Lego projects built by students. (URL) (24 years ago, 17-Jul-00, to lugnet.edu)

  (canceled)

  Educational Benefits of Lego Engineering Lab

Howdy, There are many benefits to installing a Lego based engineering program in schools. I culled the following from a white paper my company has online ( (URL) ) regarding the benefits of creating a Lego engineering lab. I hope the following can (...) (24 years ago, 6-Jul-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Legos as a Function of Applied History

LEGO® products as a Function of Applied History... As a history teacher, I find it exciting that we can explore the history with Legos! In my experience at the PCS Centers, I have had students model ancient structures, ancient machines, or model the (...) (24 years ago, 27-Jun-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Legos as a Function of Art

Howdy, Pat McShane the founder of PCS Edventures.COM authored a list that described various subject areas that can be taught with Lego elements. This list covered a range of topics from anthropology to zoology. One area he discussed was art. Pat (...) (24 years ago, 22-Jun-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Robot Club Held in Public Library

Howdy All, An acquaintence of mine in El Paso started a Robot Club in the Public Library. He gave me permission to post his letter to me here...I thought to share and encourage grass roots efforts like this one! ***SNIP*** Great news, the robotics (...) (24 years ago, 14-Jun-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Legos and Homeschooling

(...) <snipped text> (...) Well, I am homeschooled, but I've never really done any projects with Legos that would help in my schooling. I have always been more into the system sets rather than Technic, although I love Technic as well, it's just that (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jun-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Writing A Proposal

Howdy, ...since I am in the business of setting up "Lego engineering labs," I have become very familiar with writing proposals. ( Although the most interesting was assisting a fellow writing a proposal to get a supply of Lego elements for the (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jun-00, to lugnet.cad.datfest, lugnet.publish, lugnet.edu)

  Re: Elementary Lego Mindstorm Robotics Club

Howdy, (...) At the old PCS Learning Centers, students met for 1.25 hours once a week. I have set up several labs in afterschool environments and Boys and Girls Clubs, and this seems to be a natural pattern. Some of the Boys and Girls Clubs have (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jun-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Legos and Homeschooling

Howdy, ...just attended the CHOIS 2000 Homeschool Conference at NNU in Nampa Idaho. Over the years, I have had the pleasure of working with many homeschool families, usually teaching engineering, architecure and robotics with Legos at the PCS Lab. (...) (24 years ago, 9-Jun-00, to lugnet.edu) !

  Infant Stimulation Maximises Future Opportunities

Republication of official LEGO Company press release of May 16, 2000: (URL) stimulation maximises future opportunities LEGO Company encourages putting more focus on stimulating children age 0-5. New extensive research shows that by stimulating 0-5 (...) (24 years ago, 19-May-00, to lugnet.lego.announce, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general, lugnet.duplo, lugnet.primo)

  Re: Writing A Proposal

Here's a web site with lots of links on the topic including that of the Oryx Press: (URL) this helps as well, -Rob. (...) (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.cad.datfest, lugnet.publish, lugnet.edu)

  Writing A Proposal

I just borrowed this book from my local library. I haven't gone through every bit, but so far it's extremely helpful -- speaking here as one who's never written an official proposal. (at least not yet) Proposal Planning and Writing, second edition (...) (24 years ago, 11-May-00, to lugnet.cad.datfest, lugnet.publish, lugnet.edu)

  win LEGO MINDSTORMS robots and add-ons

Hi all, We have now released the game called Co-Evolutionary Robot Soccer Show, for which you can download the FREE software (for Windows) on the site: (URL) prizes in the competition include 2 LEGO MINDSTORMS robot kits, 4 LEGO MINDSTORMS add-on (...) (24 years ago, 2-May-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: Yes LEGO did make drafting paper!

In my DACTA Control Lab manuals, there are some graph papers as well. Pitsco- LEGO DACTA still sells the books ($87/set ouch!). The one titled, "Control Lab: Technology Investigations and Inventions" has paper. All 1:1 Here's the text. Invention (...) (24 years ago, 25-Apr-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu)

  Re: DUPLO Egg Gardening

(...) [snip] Suz, are you planning on becoming an elementary school teacher when you're done with school? I'd be envious of your students--wish my teachers had loved LEGO... --Bram Bram Lambrecht / o o \ BramL@juno.com (...) (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.duplo, lugnet.fun.holiday, lugnet.edu, lugnet.promo, lugnet.general)

  DUPLO Egg Gardening

Child and their DUPLO figs can watch a mini greenhouse perform magic! see photo: (URL) DUPLO Egg as a Super seed starter: - easy open and close. - short base (don't need much soil), but tall clear top. - tiny drainage holes. - air holes that can be (...) (24 years ago, 29-Mar-00, to lugnet.duplo, lugnet.fun.holiday, lugnet.edu, lugnet.promo, lugnet.general) !!

  Re: Yes LEGO did make drafting paper!

(...) Lego also included some sheets in early Brick Kicks magazines. The boxes in the grid were the size of a 1x1 plate. Jeff, "Thallid Lord" Save the Whales! I may get hungry later... :) ICQ #66153738 (URL) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu)

  Yes LEGO did make drafting paper!

TLC actually did make a drafting type paper back in the 1960's. The Architectural Sets (#750, #751, #752) each came with several sheets of this paper, which looks more like graph paper. Each box within the grid was the size of a 1x1 brick. The (...) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu)

  Re: drafting paper

(...) I'm not remembering the exact, specific definition of 'isometric', but I've produced some isometric-type graph paper that is quite useful for LEGO designing. The grid is made of vertical lines and diagonal lines which are at about a 20-degree (...) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu)

  Re: drafting paper

hmmm, I wish I had read further before I replied to Stephen's post a few minutes earlier. I think that an isometric grid would not work too well without some distortion. Since the stud side is a different measurement that the other sides (except (...) (24 years ago, 16-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu)

  Re: I just held a Lego Show!

(...) snip . . . Dacta publishes the lesson plan as a "Teachers Guide" or an "Activity Pack". They refer to the building instructions that Dacta publishes as "Building Cards". So, you need both even if you already have the building pieces. If you (...) (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  Re: drafting paper

(...) "overhead" paper provides a medium for sketching "plan" views, ie, looking straight down at the tops of brick studs. The other paper offers an "elevation" view, ie, looking at the side of a wall marked for plates because 3 plates high = 1 (...) (24 years ago, 15-Mar-00, to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu)

  New version of StarLogo

Forward is of an announcement I received from the MIT Media Lab's Epistemology and Learning group. Mitchel Resnick conceived StarLogo and implemented the original version on the Connection Machine. A related book of his is titled, "Turtles, Termites (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.edu, lugnet.robotics.logo)

  Re: I just held a Lego Show!

(...) Snip I'd love to get all of their stuff. It sounds great. I don't think I can get the school or the PTA to buy any until I look at the lesson plans, and show them how easy and appropriate they would be. I'll buy some of the lesson plans as (...) (24 years ago, 14-Mar-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  Re: LEGO Activity Binders

Wow! A report from the sorce. gosh. thanks. and welcome! I do like the DUPLO Machines sets, very much. I will have to buy these books. I own a healthy-sized DUPLO collection, including many TOOLO and Gear elements (they're great) yet I am glad to (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu)

  Re: LEGO Activity Binders

Dear Suz and Rob Yes - there is tons of good stuff inside. Designed for a DUPLO collectiuon - but you can do them with 'found' materials too. Should be between 20 and 30 activities in each binder - all integrated math science technology language. (...) (24 years ago, 12-Mar-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu)

  Re: I just held a Lego Show!

Pitsco-Dacta has soom good (assumed good, I don't have any of these curricula guides) class room focused materials: Technic I Simple Machines Curriculum (W770999): $27.50 102 page lesson plan guide, no parts Technic I Teachers Guide (W771035): (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  Re: I just held a Lego Show!

(...) I have been mulling this over, too. I am a member of the science support commitee of the parent's organization at my son's school (K-8, ages 6-14 for non-USA). I showed some of the committee members some technic and got volunteered to do a (...) (24 years ago, 10-Mar-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  Re: Elementary Lego Mindstorm Robotics Club

My apologies if this is something you have already explored: Pitsco-DACTA sells the Mindstorms components in an education format called Robolab. Go to: (URL) search on W990084 for the starter set (4 units + software site license). There are lots of (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: I just held a Lego Show!

(...) What I just did wasn't a presentation kind of thing, it was more like an art exhibition where you just go round and look at the exhibits. The other thing I do is a Technic building session every Wed afternoon: the kids call it a "class" but (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  Elementary Lego Mindstorm Robotics Club

Hi, I teach in Nebraska and am starting up an after-school Robotics Club at our school. I submitted a request for funds and a mini-budget. It was approved and now I have the task of purchasing materials. The bulk of the budget is going to be spend (...) (24 years ago, 7-Mar-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: I just held a Lego Show!

Kevin Wilson <70641.507@compuserve.com> wrote in message news:38C42409.2C1679...rve.com... (...) This brings up a point that I've been mulling over for some time. Has anyone put together a "How to do a LEGO guest lecture at your local school"? I've (...) (24 years ago, 6-Mar-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general)

  Re: Linear Programming

Misspelled URL corrected, below: (...) Miles Gentry (24 years ago, 2-Mar-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: LEGO Activity Binders

I assume there is curricula within. -Suz (...) (24 years ago, 1-Mar-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu)

  Linear Programming

Not related to "robotic computer programming". For an in-class exercise using Lego or Duplo brick to illustrate the economics of linear programming during a one-hour lecture, you should see an article titled "Lego of my simplex" by Norman (...) (24 years ago, 29-Feb-00, to lugnet.edu)

  Re: LEGO Activity Binders

Is there anything in them?? I'd hate to think someone is selling an empty binder for $40 even if its Canadian money. -Rob. Suzanne D. Rich <suz@baseplate.com> wrote in message news:FqM3pE.oF@lugnet.com... (...) (24 years ago, 29-Feb-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu)

  LEGO Activity Binders

I came across this sale while looking for something else on the net. LEGO Dacta DUPLO activity binders from Canada: (URL) anyone has seen these in person, I'd like hear what you think. -Suz (24 years ago, 27-Feb-00, to lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu)

  Re: Directional Transmission

Serious mechanical builders should study these handy directional transmission devices. They rank high along with other nice sub-assemblies, eg, adder-subtractor differentials and shifting transmissions. You may use them in machines with or without (...) (24 years ago, 11-Feb-00, to lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, lugnet.edu)

  Re: Brick Layers II book

(...) Wait till I pneumaticise them ;-) Seriously, I would make #1031 essential reading for all Technic and robot builders. The mechanisms shown therein are fundamental and will crop up time and again in various models. Enjoy! -- C S Soh (URL) where (...) (24 years ago, 8-Feb-00, to lugnet.reviews, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu, lugnet.dacta, lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Brick Layers II book

Thank you for the correction. The set with parts has the ID #1030 but the building cards alone have the ID #1031. Weird. My mistake for not confirming the correct URL at Kevin Loch's Brickshelf. More importantly, now we all know that C S Soh dabbles (...) (24 years ago, 6-Feb-00, to lugnet.reviews, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu, lugnet.dacta, lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Brick Layers II book

(...) It should be 1031, here (URL) C S Soh (URL) where air is power (24 years ago, 6-Feb-00, to lugnet.reviews, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu, lugnet.dacta, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: Brick Layers II book

(...) I can't find 1030 (or 9030, in case it was a typ0) at Briskshelf or Pause. Where did you find these scans, Miles? Kevin (24 years ago, 5-Feb-00, to lugnet.reviews, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu, lugnet.dacta, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Brick Layers II book

You can learn basic LEGO Technic engineering and building from books. What do you know about the new book, ie, "Brick Layers II ..."? Pitsco's 2000 catalog has a new book titled "Brick Layers II: Creative Engineering with Lego Constructions" (Pitsco (...) (24 years ago, 5-Feb-00, to lugnet.reviews, lugnet.build, lugnet.edu, lugnet.dacta, lugnet.build, lugnet.technic, lugnet.books)

  Re: My first crack at teaching Lego Robotics

You can also find Ben Erwin's worksheets and reference documents for gear (...) ... snipped ... (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Re: My first crack at teaching Lego Robotics

I have some stuff at (URL) of third grade, the activity that the third grade class that we work with did last week was "burgular". The kids set up their RCX's and light sensors around the room collecting data. Then someone came in the darkened room (...) (24 years ago, 4-Feb-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  Re: My first crack at teaching Lego Robotics

(...) ... snip ... (...) For Technic building: See printable worksheets at (URL) sample lessons that might print at (URL) printable reference manual at (URL) a better printable version of it in Adobe Acrobat format at (...) (24 years ago, 21-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

  My first crack at teaching Lego Robotics

I finally get started teaching in my son's 3rd grade class. I worked with students teaching them about gears, while my son taught other students to use the Mindstorms software. We spent two hours with 10 kids. I have to say it went pretty well. My (...) (24 years ago, 20-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.edu, lugnet.edu)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact