 Education / 93
92  |  94
Subject:
Robot Club Held in Public Library
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:47:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Howdy All,

An acquaintence of mine in El Paso started a Robot Club in the Public
Library. He gave me permission to
post his letter to me here...I thought to share and encourage grass
roots efforts like this one!

***SNIP***
Great news, the robotics presentation was a big hit.
We had about 35 kids show up (about half were girls).
After giving a brief overview of robotics, I divided
the kids into groups and had them compete to see who
could come up with a program (list of commands) to
make a robot (one of the kids) stand up, walk to a
bookshelf, grab a book, then come back and sit down.
They had a blast! Lots of questions.  I then was able
to talk to them about the complexities of robotic
movement (walking, maintaing balance, etc.).  The
whole thing was covered by 2 reporters (I'll send you
the clippings later when they come out).  As a result
of this presentation it looks like we will be forming
a robotics club.  My biggest joy was seeing the little
tiny kids really interested and asking all kinds of
questions.

Oh well, now back to reality.  Anyway thanks for the
words of encouragement.  Let's see where this goes...

Have a nice weekend,

Carlos Perales