 Education / 149
148  |  150
Subject:
Student Nomination for Lego Media
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 21:02:38 GMT

Howdy,

This is a reply to LEGO Media's call for interesting and innovating
students of LEGO.

I thought to share here as well, as this is the kind of student I would
like to see our
classrooms produce.

There is a group of kids I work with
who are all incredible people! Nolan, who is diagnosed with Tourettes
Syndrome and who creates
some amazing stuff with LEGO and enjoys making 3D environments on the
computer. Andrew,
despite some physical handicaps has been working on making mechanical
hands and is currently
creating a large Easter Island Head out of bricks. Nathan, who studies
philosophy and is currently
building a recreation of the Temple of Ur. There are some great students
at the
Ada County Boys and Girls Club as well, but the one student I have to
recommend is Nic Perner.
Nic is 15 years old, and is one of the most mature and intelligent
students I have had the pleasure to
meet. The other day, he dropped by my office, and I asked him if he
could build a working "seed planter"
out of the parts in a particular LEGO kit, and he had it refined in 45
minutes flat.

He does extensive graphics work, including a thorough knowledge of POV
RAY, Adobe
Photoshop and 3DMax. (Here is one frame of a movie that he authored
demonstating
gear trains- http://www.edventures.com/contest/gearanim.gif, and you can
download
the AVI file at http://edventures.com/content/nic.html).
He recently won 1st place in the  regional BPA computer aided graphics
competition (and is competing in State on March 8). In addition he does
fair bit of programming,
working with our VR equipment, and knows C and PASCAL. (Well, he claims
PASCAL is
lame). :^)

Nic Perner is a rounded person.. He has a medium sized trebuchet in his
garage.
And he has built some high flying rockets. Nic is an active member of
the
National Honor Society, and he is very involved in
jump rope competitions...most recently he did 3  jump rope performances
in
Spokane and 4 performances in the Boise area. He attended a recent
national jump
rope clinic in San Jose, captured medals at the National Competition in
Orlando,
and is the *sixth* fastest male in the nation in jump rope!

I have hired Nic to teach engineering concepts to younger  students, and
Nic
volunteers teach jump rope to  elementary school kids once a week for
community service

Nic is one of the most talented LEGO builders I have ever met! One of
his projects was featured on
"Popular Mechanics for Kids"He has an extensive body of LEGO
work...including capturing a first
place in 1998's Ancient Time's building contest, Cyberplace's Robot Wars
Competition in his division, a working LEGO trebuchet and other seige
weapons...in fact I have been stumped finding some problem he could not
solve with LEGO
building! One of the VPs of Pitsco-Dacta visited us and looked at one of
Nic's robotic hands, and *demanded*
to meet Nic!

Nic Perner is an awesome person, and is deserving of your attention.

Richard
rwright@pcsedu.com
www.edventures.com