 Education / 148
Re: Elementary Lego Mindstorm Robotics Club
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2001 01:25:40 GMT

I think John has some great suggestions.  In addition you may want to check if
your retailer gives a discount to teachers.  My local Zany Brainy takes off
10%.

Maggie C.

In lugnet.edu, John Heins writes:
In lugnet.edu, Garrett Sims writes:
Hi,

I teach in Nebraska and am starting up an after-school Robotics Club at our
school.  I submitted a request for funds and a mini-budget.  It was approved
and now I have the task of purchasing materials. The bulk of the budget is
going to be spend on 6-7 Mindstorm Kits, although I also budgeted for extra
motors, sensors, exp. kits, etc.

Regarding supplies, irt is easier and cheaper to do purchasing outside the
usual school procedures.  These limit options and usually result in HIGHER
prices.  If you have any local merchants - toys or such - that carry Lego,
see if you can cut a "sponser" deal for purchasing the Mindstorms kits.
With some sort of acknowledgement and the possibiility of individual
purchases in the future, a merchant may be willing to help out.

You may also be able to cut deals on "shelf worn" technics kits for
additional parts.  Choose kits carefully for parts value.  RIS 1.0 kits have
a plug for a transformer - saves on battery use.  You may be able to find
these at a discount.  The 1.5 upgrade software/parts cost $25 from shop at
home.  You can also try the ROBOLAB software from Pitsco DACTA.

If you advertise in the local middle/high school paper asking for Technics
kits.  Families tend to hold onto Legos but some may be looking to "reduce
clutter" and get rid of "outgrown" Legos.

If you have access to any Toys R Us stores that still have ZNAP kits in
stock, check for the motorized versions.  This is a cheap way to pick up
motors and some misc. pieces cheap.  I was getting motorized ZNAPS for $9.99
- when the motor alone is $17.

Traditional sources are Pitsco DACTA - check out their new catalog, but be
warned, their prices are not cheap - they are used to school PO's where
little competition seems to exist on price.

Good Luck.

I've found that eBay can be a good place to buy parts and kits, but you have
to know values.