 Education / 69
Re: Elementary Lego Mindstorm Robotics Club
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:46:32 GMT

My apologies if this is something you have already explored:

Pitsco-DACTA sells the Mindstorms components in an education format called
Robolab. Go to: http://pitsco-legodacta-store.com/ search on W990084 for the
starter set (4 units + software site license).  There are lots of other
topics/curricula sets for expanding the activities.

-Rob.

Garrett <gsims1@home.com> wrote in message news:Fr17M1.KBA@lugnet.com...
Hi,

I teach in Nebraska and am starting up an after-school Robotics Club at • our
school.  I submitted a request for funds and a mini-budget.  It was • approved
and now I have the task of purchasing materials. The bulk of the budget is
going to be spend on 6-7 Mindstorm Kits, although I also budgeted for • extra
motors, sensors, exp. kits, etc.

I guess I'm looking for advice from anyone out there who currently • sponsors a
similar club.

1) How many times a week does your club meet? For how long?
2) How many students are involved? Grade Levels?
3) How many would you suggest for 6-7 Mindstorm kits to share?
4) My basic plan was to spend the first month or so, doing activities • right
out of the constructopedia and then moving on to problem-solving machine
building. How did you operate your club?
5) I also plan to have a Robotics Fair (in conjunction with our school • science
fair) late in the year.  Do any of you do this? Any advice or tips?
6) Is there anything else you'd like to share with me about your club? • Words
of wisdom?  I know I'm headed in the right direction -- I just want to • touch
base with those of you who have already walked this path.

Thanks Much
Garrett