 Education / 70
Re: I just held a Lego Show!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.dacta, lugnet.edu, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:53:39 GMT

Has anyone put together a "How to do a LEGO guest lecture at your local
school"?

I have been mulling this over, too.  I am a member of the science support
commitee of the parent's organization at my son's school (K-8, ages 6-14 for
non-USA).  I showed some of the committee members some technic and got
volunteered to do a "simple machines" class.  I ended up not using LEGO, for
several reasons, mostly because the teachers really didn't want to allocate
time it would take me to teach and have the kids learn anything building things
with all the small pieces, much less have fun.  They feel very pressed for time
to teach since there are alot of other things(non teaching stuff) going on, and
they are really freaking out about teaching to the benchmarks so the kids get
good scores on the proficiency tests.  Space was also a consideration, since
the school has no extra.  I had to do four classes, and packing all the LEGO
bits from room to room would have been a pain. So I demo'ed various simple
machines, and then had them do marshmallow tossing with a wood trebuchet,
moving the fulcrum and weight, since levers are big in the benchmarks.
But I have not given up on LEGO at school.  Our committee is considering a
"Science Night" where the kids come back in the evening, and we have booths or
areas set up for learning in different areas of science.  I think bringing in
the LEGO for that is doable, but what I need is a way to make it clearly
educational, not just fun.  Maybe have them see if they can make a
Rube-Goldberg type-(come up with a brilliant idea here-balloon popping?)-
machine, using at least 3 different simple machines.
Has anyone tried something like this?  I'd do robotics also, except I don't
have the pieces, and I don't think 2 hours would be enough. I don't have
pneumatics, either.  I really am not a technics person and am not sure I could
bring this off.

Carolyn Cheney