 Education / 90
Re: Elementary Lego Mindstorm Robotics Club
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 17:35:52 GMT

Howdy,

Garrett wrote:

1) How many times a week does your club meet? For how long?

At the old PCS Learning Centers, students met for 1.25 hours once a week. I have
set up several
labs in afterschool environments and Boys and Girls Clubs, and this seems to be a
natural pattern.
Some of the Boys and Girls Clubs have advanced students meet twice a week.

I also hosted summer camps, meeting every day for 4 hours for a week. One of the
Boys and Girls Clubs of
Philadelphia  plans on rotating their summer kids through everyday for about 45
minutes at a time.

2) How many students are involved? Grade Levels?

All over the board. I have worked with preschoolers ( although the focus here
would not be robotics )
up through college freshmen. Median age is 10.

3) How many would you suggest for 6-7 Mindstorm kits to share?

I guess I am not the right person to answer this one as I have a different
philosophy regarding this.
I believe in having a big lab with enough components for students to experiment
and build freely with...unfortunately
cost becomes an issue.

4) My basic plan was to spend the first month or so, doing activities right
out of the constructopedia and then moving on to problem-solving machine
building. How did you operate your club?

We developed our own curriculum ( you can visit www.weirdrichard.com for some
samples ).

I like Bloom's taxonomy...give students a solid skill set and then move them into
evaluative type activities
and challenges. I will post some representative samples.

5) I also plan to have a Robotics Fair (in conjunction with our school science
fair) late in the year.  Do any of you do this? Any advice or tips?

Always have some students at the booth. One of the best fairs I caught was with
the GT program in Mountain
Home Idaho, the students built a robot that handed a pop to the principal of the
school.

6) Is there anything else you'd like to share with me about your club? Words
of wisdom?  I know I'm headed in the right direction -- I just want to touch
base with those of you who have already walked this path.

Start with engineering projects!

Richard
rwright@pcsedu.com
www.weirdrichard.com