 Education / 89
88  |  90
Subject:
Legos and Homeschooling
Newsgroups:
lugnet.edu
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 17:20:39 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Howdy,

...just attended the CHOIS 2000 Homeschool Conference at NNU in Nampa
Idaho.

Over the years, I have had the pleasure of working with many homeschool
families, usually teaching engineering, architecure
and robotics with Legos at the PCS Lab. As a teacher, I have great
success using Lego as a educational constructive.

I think Legos are a great thing for homeschool families!

1) Most children are familiar with Lego elements.

2) Most children are internally motivated to create porjects. They
naturally become engaged with the medium.

3) Lego elements tend to be intuitive in their use.

4) Lego elements have a track record with education. Combined with
Lego's infoscuela study, using Lego pieces and parts
improve test scores ( if you are into that sort of thing ).

5) Lego elements are easily obtained; are well crafted; and  will be
around for awhile ( as opposed to the newest flashiest educational
computer game ). You can use the same set of Lego elements for different
age groups and as a resource for
different families.

6) Lego elements lend themselves to teaching a variety of different
subjects ( I refer to Pat McShane's original list of Lego elements  as a
function of a range of ideas at  http://www.weirdrichard.com/zero.htm ).

7) Lego elements cut across language and ability barriars.

Terry Glaspey talked about how "Truth can be communicated in music and
art in ways it can not be taught." Similarly,
Lego pieces and parts can convey important concepts through play and
constructing.

Are there any homeschooling families out there that do projects with
Legos? I would love to hear some stories.

Richard
rwright@pcsedu.com
www.weirdrichard.com