 Color / 1317
Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2007 13:34:36 GMT

In lugnet.events.brickfest, Ted Michon wrote:
   The only good news is that these are “better” colors and, if they are cheaper and/or easier to get, well, good for LEGO (hey! where’s my discount?!)

It seems to me that piece counts per dollar are way up these days from where they were when I used to buy a lot of LEGO, although I suspect this is more of an attempt to stay competitive with clone brands than it is an attempt to pass along their savings to you. I also think the set designs are worlds better than they ever were in the past, but I don’t buy sets for the instructions, I buy them for the bricks. (Sadly, my aversion to bley is still stronger than my attraction to most of the cool new set designs.)

   So, deep down the issue is that LEGO mucked with something we viewed as immutable and permanent. If they can change this, nothing’s sacred.

The flip side is, we’re crying about a pigment change while the entirety of The LEGO Company is going through the worst wringer of its history. It’s getting out the molding business, the packing business, and the distribution business which means its losing thousands of career jobs. LEGO gave up its theme parks, including the almost 40 year flag ship park in Billund. We should just be thankful there’s a LEGO Company left to complain about (and to) and that our favorite fun thing hasn’t gone the way of all the other legacy creations like Erector Sets, American Flyer trains, etc.

Or could it be that their present difficulties are partly due to the fallout from the color change? It seems like the company was still expanding in 2003/2004 (when they opened LEGO Retail stores here in the US, IIRC). I still remember my enthusiasm for the rollout of Pick-a-Brick being one of the high points of my involvement in this hobby, followed within months by the greatest disappointment - bley. Just a few years later, they are undertaking the most severe contraction in the company’s history.

Who knows? Maybe if somebody within TLC had “cried about pigment change” before it was too late, they could have avoided some of this pain?