 Color / 1313
Re: Talk me into Bley at BrickFest
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.color
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 05:22:57 GMT

Matt,

Okay first off a little lesson to those who might be not so familure with color. There are 2 main types of color: Warm and Cool. Warm colors tend to be tinted by reds, oranges, yellows, basiclly “warm” feeling colors. Example: the old greys are warm colors (Light, Gray, Dark; Warm Greys). These tend to be things like stone, concrete, gunmetal, etc... The replacement grey colors are in the cool grey shades, or “cool” feeling colors like bluish, greenish, and purplish tints. There is one difference, that is instead of being just cool greys they have a little more bluish tint in the color and are classified as stone gray since they are fairly close to real stone colors (Light, Medium, Dark; Stone Grey).

Now that I have covered that part I can move along: First example: Using pieces in new shapes and color to remake an old set into a more realistic version.

Old 12 ICE passenger set: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/3dbricks/Misc/1.jpg

vs Beautyful remake using newer colors and peices: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Legomatic/GermanE03/pict0333.jpg

As you can see the new pieces brought life and realism that before could not be done. Now however (not to bash on the creator), if the creator wanted to make it even more realisitc, they would have used the stone grey colors instead since they more closely resemble the real train as seen here:

http://kj.uue.org/projects/bahn-bilder/jpg/db-103232-01.jpg

Now on to uses of stone grey colors by them selves or in combination with the old warm greys.

Here is a old weathered wood barn done to perfection using old warm grey and new medium stone grey tiles, which create the perfect effect of different varyations of weathering. It also works great for worn and weathered metal, like rusty patches and such.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/marakoeschtra/Events/Utrecht2007/dsc06078.jpg

Or this beautyful Deutsche Bahn locomotive done to perfection using new medium stone grey:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/moggie/Interregio/interregio_06.jpg

Compared to original locomotive:

http://kj.uue.org/projects/bahn-bilder/jpg/db-101101-01.jpg

So for myself I see 2 reasons why to ditch the anti-stone grey setiment:

1.) For the reason of some many new great sets, including the UCS MF, or the Hobby Train. Finally we get a offical set that make a model of a real Crocidile locomotive. The old 9v set is based off the Austrian geared electric locomotive. Who wouldn’t want to get their hands on that.

2.) My real reason. More color means more pieces in more color, which translates into better MOC’s!!! It’s like saying you will only use the standard colors. IE red, blue, yellow, grey, black, and white. So boring! Life is full of color so why not enjoy it in its fullest, and why not apply that same principle to mocs and enjoy them in full color as well. So I say Bring on the color! Why limit yourself when you can have more colors?

Jeffrey Jarvis