Re: CW Questions (Was: A thought about some CW issues that may emanate.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2000 16:03:04 GMT

That's what I get for sitting in the lurch for a while and lurking, huh? ;-)

I gotta say some great ideas about Castle World were raised here, both in this
post, the replies to it, and the one it replied to.
I honestly don't know what to say to all that; for starters, the map you are
all aiming to change is not all formed yet. :-) ...so yes, there's the
possibility of not having it. The "map" that Craigo has planned, I understand,
is so flexible that anyone could have any terrain in their realm as so they
please. OTOH, issues of borders which were raised can't be ignored; and it's
true, there's only so much flexibility that can be provided within two
dimensions.

A little history here:  In the beginning, Castle World was simply a
surrogate for the fact that all of us live so far apart and can't combine our
creations and make a single awesome community.  I was meant to be a virual
community and place for interactions between the fans of castles.  The
map was simply a way to place and finger locations.  Here is the original page:

http://members.nbci.com/legocastle/

I'm sure that not many have seen it:)

This was the first ever attempt at unification, etc.  After this was done,
objections were raised that such a structure will limit the builder.  My
argument was that in real life, we have limits on our borders, on our
neighbors, and such.  I bit my lip and let the discussion escolate.  This is
about
the time that objections on .castle were raised to keep all this debate out
of it.  .castle.org.cw was then formed.  It all came back to the same thing -
the map.

The map was always the hot topic.  What if this?  What if that?  What if I
want to do this?  Everyone had their idea of a world and yet everyone
wanted community.  Unfortunately, true community only happens when we are
all in the same place and interacting.  Of course, the prerequisite to
all of this is common consent and courtesy.

So ...  I would have to agree with Shiri here - we don't even have a map so
we don't even know if things will work out or not.  The addtions like the
Library and awesome, but changing the whole system without trying the old
one is a bit too quick:)

My advice is to just build and create and it will all fall into place ...
that's what I'm doing:)

Oh yeah - anyone want to give building The Library a shot?  I have an idea
of what it might look like, but I'm not the artsy type so somone should
step up here ... ;)

-- Pawel