Re: CW Questions (Was: A thought about some CW issues that may emanate.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 22:00:54 GMT

    CW is a wonderful idea but the map seems to raise an awful lot of issues.
It seems to me that a "Magic: the Gathering" approach would be easier to
implement and cause less confusion. The Magic card game is built around many
worlds (planes) that have no physical connection between them. Wizards (also
called planeswalkers) use a variety of magical means to travel between the
different worlds.

Being a long-time Magic afficionado, this is the most appealing aspect
of realm placement to me. It's not very confusing, unless you want it to
be, nor is it too terribly difficult to understand. This also allows (to
address a subsequent point from Frank Filz) as much interaction between
realms as you want. Any number of CW'ers can place their realms in the
same plane, such as the following:

Plane 1
Shiri's Realm, Frank's Realm, Craigo's realm
Plane 2
Rick's Realm
Plane 3
Damraska's realm, Anthony's realm, Mattexl's realm

You can even have your realm span two(or more) different planes, thereby
increasing your interactivity. Or even have your realm jump planes of
existence, due to horribly timed magical experiments or the will of the
"gods".

     Another example of this idea is found in C.S. Lewis's Narnian book The
Magician's Nephew. In that story there is a place called the Wood Between the
Worlds. It consists of a vast wood with small pools of water spaced
throughout. Each pool is a doorway to a different world.

This is another great idea (and another great source to draw inspiration
from) which is more along the lines of the hub and spoke idea bandied
about a while ago (maybe even earlier in this thread). This gives a
central position from which to connect with everyone's realms. Though it
does tend to pull a bit at the ability to interact and have border
skirmishes and the like....

I, for one, don't see why any number of thes ideas we've come up with
couldn't be implemented at once. Even if there was one, single "checker
board" map which gave geographic locations to all the realms, why can't
we also have a Wod Between the Worlds, AND a million Portals linking
everything between here, there, and everywhere? Wouldn't that be one of
th emost creative things we could do?

Mattexl