Subject:
CW Questions (Was: A thought about some CW issues that may emanate.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:05:43 GMT

Shiri Dori <shirid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.castle.org.cw, Pawel Nazarewicz writes:
As Pawel states in his reply, each domain belongs to a particular person • who
may exercise complete control over that domain.  From experience, that • is
good and right.  :)

Most definitely - no one can decide for you...

We gave this some thought, and this is what we came up with this grid • system:

X O X C X
O X P X F
X O X S X

C - Craig's Realm
P - Pawel's Realm
F - Frank's Realm
S - Shiri's Realm
X - Neutral Zone

The Neutral zone is exactly that - noone can build there, but anyone can • go
there.  Over there, pretty much anything goes.

Yeah... and then (more musings, using the same notation, with O as • unclaimed
realms), if for example you have (a bit more complex arrangement):

X1 C  X2 O
C  X3 C  X4
X5 C  X6 S
O  X7 S  X8

So Craig and I have Zone X6 entirely enclosed between our realms. We can
decide, then, if we want to perhaps divide it between us... or leave it
empty... or we can allow each other to expand however we see fit. But
basically we can decide what to do with it, no?

Then, X3, which is entirely enclosed by Craig's realms - so he has entire
control over it.

Does that make any sense?

It does, but your answer leads me to lots more questions.  :)

Does CW have any hard and fast rules?  From what I can tell (having looked
at CW, TempCW, and recent posts here), it's basically a loose confederation
without much structure.  If there are no hard and fast rules, are there
plans for instituting some?  I'm interested in joining/contributing, but I'd
like to understand the structure of the place before I write anything (more)
up.

Going back to the grid...  Who decides what realm goes where?  How many
squares on the checkerboard can one person control?  How does a person
expand to take more squares?  Doug, do you really need to ask all these
annoying questions?  Can two (or more) people take control of a square based
on some agreement between them?  Even if it is not adjacent to their
existing realms?  Can a person write rules for his or her realm and then
open it up to other players?  Can a player subdivide and sublease his or her
square?  Does having a border with someone really mean anything (given
portals and POOF!!--you're there magic stuff)?  (For example, if I put a
lush forest against my north border, can my neighbor put a desert on the
other side?)  Does a square have an absolute size?  (Are we talking worlds,
continents, counties, or what?)  And the big one:  how *much* tech is
allowed?  :)

I don't really need answers to *all* that, but I would like to get a better
sense of scale and community so that I can make an intelligent contribution.

  -Doug

The center of the universe is an enigma:)  We do need a central place for
people to gather and discuss what is happening ... good idea.  Anyone up • for
building such a sacred place?  I envision a huge cathedral or other such
ruin ... a simple castle won't do:)

Hmmmmm... I remember some anceint talk about having a LegOcean in the • center
of the universe? A big mystery or some'n?

More musing:  The problem with putting a mysterious ocean at the center
(where it is landlocked) is that eventually someone has to populate and
explore it, after which it isn't so mysterious anymore.  If the world were a
plate that grew around the edges instead, the ocean could go on forever.
Forever is mysterious.  :)