Re: A thought about some CW issues that may emanate.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle.org.cw
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 05:23:38 GMT

I'm just musing around here, having not read everything for castle world, so
pardon me if I make some obvious error...

Musing is fun:)

As Pawel states in his reply, each domain belongs to a particular person who
may exercise complete control over that domain.  From experience, that is
good and right.  :)

Agreed ...

To create some interesting mixes, perhaps you could have 'neutral zones'
between the governed domains, where rules for the adjacent domains blend
into one another.  The owners of the border domains would share
responsibility for resolving what happens within these zones, along with a
third person they mutually elect.  Three votes means no ties when the issue
comes to a vote.  This territorial magistrate is only limited by their own
whim--they can integrate the adjacent rules following a logical pattern or
just do something wacky.

We gave this some thought, and this is what we came up with this grid system:

X O X C X
O X P X F
X O X S X

C - Craig's Realm
P - Pawel's Realm
F - Frank's Realm
S - Shiri's Realm
X - Neutral Zone

The Neutral zone is exactly that - noone can build there, but anyone can go
there.  Over there, pretty much anything goes.

I have read something about a possible wheel shape for the universe.  If so,
the center could be a free for all, governed by a ruling council with a
maximum of, say, five seats.  Each province (group of domains) would elect
one person to govern the center.  As the number of domains grows (people
join on to CW), each province expands to accommodate them.  Surrounding the
world is a safe zone, a ring touching all domains, allowing characters (and
monsters and whatever) to move between domains freely.  Rather than appoint
a council to the safe ring, a set of simple rules govern it, preventing
clashes of any kind (since the gods of neutrality prevent such nonsense).
The council would also decide where to insert new domains, since that could
obviously make and break alliances.  I would recommend adopting a fixed
insertion point, say at the north compass point, clockwise, with all other
domains moving left or right to make room, *unless*, a neutral zone council
agrees to allow insertion elsewhere, at the request of the owner of the
incoming domain.

The center of the universe is an enigma:)  We do need a central place for
people to gather and discuss what is happening ... good idea.  Anyone up for
building such a sacred place?  I envision a huge cathedral or other such
ruin ... a simple castle won't do:)

One final thought:  It seems there are also 'prime characters' running
around.  These characters should have "luck"--the ability to escape from
*any* territory if the ruler(s) of that territory act against them.  (There
should also be a limit on the number of prime characters per domain.)  If
you take a non-prime character out of your domain, you takes your chances.

It's all fun and games - all stories are agreed upon by both parties before
they are submited.  No plans for waring as of yet.

-- Pawel