 CAD / Development / 1389
Re: [ldraw.org] Shockwave Flash
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:40:22 GMT

At 09:32 AM 4/15/99 +0000, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
Tim Courtney (tcourtney@avenew.com) wrote:

Which brings up another issue.  Does anyone have one of those gif
compressors that take several k out of each file so nicely and
conveniently?  If so, when the ldraw.org images are done, could you run
them through it?  Or is there a freeware one anywhere?

Usually I just use PNG instead of GIF which cuts roughly 20%
of the file size (on average). If you want to improve the
GIF compression of images you have to reduce the colour
depth of the images. I use pnmdepth (from the netpbm/pbmplus
package) for this purpose.

I do have the capability of using PNG, but I am wary about browser support
for them.  I do remember when you brought up the topic two years ago on the
Minifig World Tour that there was little browser support for it.  Does IE5
and Netscape 4.7 support it?  How many browsers besides them support it?
That is my concern, but it would be nice to use that format.

I have read up on PNG in the past and like what they're doing with it.  The
reason I'm wary is I haven't read many news items on browsers actually
supporting it.  I know I tested one in IE4 to see if it worked, it didn't...

Keep Building!!

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com

AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

You've seen their sites and read their posts, now see their faces:
RTL/LUGNET Legofest 1999: http://www.zacktron.com/legofest/

LEGO: SP++++c(6973)[ip++++ bt2++++ ex+++ ft+++ sp+++ ut++]
AQ+++(6175)[an+++ as++ hn-- sr--] TO++[ob+ dv+ tc-- tt-- tjr.---] TC++ CA+
PI+ BV--- DU--- HM--- S+ LS>+++  #++++  Hal M+ A+ YB82m