 CAD / 15676
  Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

For the last several weeks, I have been part of group of people working to fill in the colors that are missing from LDconfig.ldr, and basically, make sure the entire contents of the file are correct and laid out properly. There are a lot of colors (...) (16 years ago, 18-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

If your browser is not able to download .cfg files, here are the two files zipped together: (URL) (16 years ago, 18-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) I personally like the black edgelines more, because it is more likely the original instructions. And I think that this is the way to go. But it should not in any case be a real black edge. Sometimes I would prefer a more light-black, and (...) (16 years ago, 18-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

Great work. However (please forgive me)... Where do I put these files (I assume the MLCad program folder?), how do I use them amd how can I test if the colors are right? I have never worked with custom colors before. (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) You will need to over-write your existing MLCAD.cfg that should be located in the LDraw directory. Nothing else needs to be done. Just open MLCAD and open your models to see them in the new colors. Scott (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) I agree with you. These are the LDraw Core Colors with official LEGO RGBs Scott has worked on with a #1F1F1F edge I added for the test: (URL) You can do some tests yourself. Files are here: (URL) I'm not sure on the lighter edge for dark (...) (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Why don't you use #000000 as the edge color? I think that looks OK even against the default black color (LDraw color 0), while the edge lines around the black in you image above are difficult to see. --Travis (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(2 URLs) So, you guys think that models look better with black edges? (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Depends on the purpose :-) For instructions, the black lines make every part very obvious, while for a nice picture of the model, the softer lines look better (although the contrast in comparison2.jpg is *too* low - you can't see the parts at (...) (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) BTW, both these pictures look quite awful on my Windows CRT monitor with a gamma of 1.0. I had to copy them to my painting program and adjust the gamma correction to 2.60 before I realized that the engine in Comparison.jpg was gray/yellow, not (...) (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Yeah! That IS the problem with colors. You can adjust so many settings, that on an other monitor it looks completely different. I am using WinXP with a ATI Radeon 9250 and a TFT Benq monitor. So far I can see windows does not provide a (...) (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) The intensity of a colour is usually given by I = 0.299R + 0.587G + 0.114B so your cutoff should be based on that rather than a simple mean. Tim (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Thanks Scott, I got it to work. Strange that I've never given this any attention before... :-) (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

Great stuff here with those colors. I've created a tutorial in Dutch for my homepage on how to use the new colors. Question: how do I get LPub (4.0.0.x) to work with these configuration files? (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) I'd say "Definitely!" (...) settings) according to that page, and now I don't have to adjust gamma inside PaintShop Pro anymore! Unfortunately, the comparison2.jpg still shows black where it should show green, but I can't increase gamma or (...) (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Maybe this is also an issue regarding the jpg file format. I have just loaded that picture file to the picture program "Paint.NET" and found with the color picker that the values for the green color is approx. R 4 - G 15 - B 9. That is realy (...) (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Definitely not! You should hear me and my wife 'quarrel' if a color is blue or green. We have very different perception of that border line... Only ~8% of males (< 1% for females) are red-green 'color blind', but that still means 1 out of 12 (...) (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

The color is not green, it is dark green: (URL) Scott (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Yes, Dark Green is ok, but I think the values are too low. Scott, have you calibrated you systems where you have created your colors?(Please see my previous post) cu mikeheide (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) SNIP (...) The current LDConfig.ldr values in the MLCAD.cfg converted. You can download that mlcad.zip at (URL) (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) The color values in the MLCAD.cfg files that I converted are not my creation. Most of these values come straight from The LEGO Group. A very few of them are from Peeron and one or two from Bricklink. The Dark_Green that you see is from TLG and (...) (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) If you use LDView as your renderer for LPub, make sure you have "Process ldconfig.ldr" set in LDView's General Preferences. Then, use an ldconfig.ldr file that has the colors you want. Willy posted one in this thread. The ldconfig.ldr file (...) (16 years ago, 21-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Hmmm ... where do these values come from? I changed the edge line using this calculation and used a 50% Gray for the lighter edge and pitch black for a dark edge (applied only to the first row, the rest is still #1F1F1F). IMHO it looks AWFUL (...) (16 years ago, 21-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Yeah I agree that Gray and Dark_Gray only work on the very darkest of colors like Black or Dark_Brown. Unless someone wants to spend a lot of time customizing an edge for each color, I'd recommend setting a dividing break point at which to (...) (16 years ago, 21-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) If you use the above mentioned calculation, you get a color value that represents a gray color with the same brightness than the color itself. I also feel that the 50% value (127) is not a good value. It should be maybe at 40, if we do use a (...) (16 years ago, 21-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

Hi all, I've been experimenting with these new colors and configuration files. I am however now ending up with these lines of code once I edit a file in MLCad: 0 COLOR 64 Bright_Light Blue 0 208 255 255 255 208 255 255 255 0 COLOR 65 Bright_Light (...) (16 years ago, 21-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) These files were created outside of MLCAD and are intended for testing purposes only. They are not meant for regular use. MLCAD was designed to allow the user to create custom colors and save them to the model file. Since the MLCAD.cfg files (...) (16 years ago, 21-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Thanks Jaco for this hint. The above lines are all the lines that are not the same the standard MLCad colors. And in this case this are really standard MLCad color. MLCad has a build in check for colors. So we can change the MLCad.cfg, to what (...) (16 years ago, 21-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) SNIP (...) I just found an old thread thread that has also no solution to the question of the edge colors. (URL) I believe we have to found one now. I have found also other threads regarding this issue and I try to sum up: 1) Black is the (...) (16 years ago, 21-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Like me. Which is why I'm not a good person for making comments on the colours in this thread but am a good person to make comments about edge lines. Tim PS. It's 1 in 24 persons to be precise but I know what you mean ;) (16 years ago, 22-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) I like this proposal but I'd like to run a test file using the 52 threshold and try also different shades of gray first before diving into more detail. w. (16 years ago, 22-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) I've been questioned about the directions we are going with our efforts. The current plan for the LDConfig.ldr is: * Keep the core color numbers from 0-50, plus some historical colors like Black_Rubber, Chrom or Gold for backwards (...) (16 years ago, 22-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Did you miss your morning coffee? :-) 1/12 = 0.08333... 1/24 = 0.04166... Or are you saying that only ~4% of the males are 'color blind'? Both Wikipedia (5-8%) and Swedish statistics (~8%) agree with the 8% figure, but you might live in a (...) (16 years ago, 22-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Thant sounds very good to me. The support for language support I can imagine a new file for each language that is called LDconfig.de for German for example. The syntax can be: 0 !COLOUR Weiss CODE 30001 When there is no entry for the requested (...) (16 years ago, 22-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) 'Persons' can be male or female so 1 in 12 of 1 in 2 are coloublind. AKA 1 in 24 ;) Tim (16 years ago, 23-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) I set up a new LDConfig.ldr file in sync with the above. Check it out at the wiki: (URL) (16 years ago, 23-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Ahhh... The thought never entered my mind :-) Seems I'm the one that need more coffee - but not now, closing on bedtime here... Thanks for the correction and explanation! (16 years ago, 23-Nov-08, to lugnet.off-topic.geek)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values  [DAT]

(...) Hi Willy, Why so many colors defined in present ldconfig.ldr ((URL) are missing from your chart? Otherwise, I had a look at the defined colors (LDraw, 0 to 28), imho there is not enough contrast for brown (6) and Violet (22). These colors (...) (16 years ago, 24-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) The file is "work in progress". Feel free to contribute. w. (16 years ago, 24-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) This is done with two exceptions to follow the BL naming scheme. Teal is not one of the BL color names, but the color values for LDraw Teal are almost the same as Dark_Tuquoise, according to Peeron and my own observation. Light_Red is also not (...) (16 years ago, 24-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

In lugnet.cad, Scott Wardlaw wrote: You use in your description the attribute SPECKLE that is not yet official. So if we use that (I recommend that) we have to update the article (URL) as well. Only as a reminder. cu mikeheide (16 years ago, 24-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) The "besides the color code" isn’t a collateral damage but the main problem! We cannot ship the TLG numbering in a simple language file. Think about a blue car colored with LDraw code 1. Loading the TLG colors as language file you would (...) (16 years ago, 25-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) I'd like to hear some opinions on how we do define backwards compatibility? Considering that most user built their models using MLCad (no idea which color numbers are supported by Leo, Bricksmith or SR3D) which comes with very limited color (...) (16 years ago, 25-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) I am _strongly_ against that. Imho this is the same mistake LEGO did a few years ago with the stone colors. What would be the point of defining a standard (ldconfig.ldr) to change it at the first drawback? Colors 70..72 are defined for more (...) (16 years ago, 25-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) We should be able to have TLG names as a language file, since every TLG color value should map to every BL (BrickLink) color value. I certainly understand the drive to have them in the file in one form or another. Perhaps the most benefit can (...) (16 years ago, 25-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Since MLCAD (and other programs) do not support color codes above 511, a different approach to reading TLG colors is needed. However, I have to strongly agree with Philo. Changing color codes that have been defined for years is not a good (...) (16 years ago, 25-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) I completely agree that changing the colour codes at this stage is a terrible idea. However I have nothing against duplicating them. One thing we do need is to maintain, alongside the LDraw codes, mapping lists to other known systems such as (...) (16 years ago, 25-Nov-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) As it happens, I've also been experimenting with changing MLCad.cfg, and I've discovered something which may be of interest here: MLCad appears to check only that the _name_ of the colour has not been altered from its in-built setting, not the (...) (16 years ago, 8-Dec-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Are we sure about the RGB values for the transparent colours? They look awfully washed-out to me :-( TrDkBlue in particular looks more like TrLtBlue. Alex (16 years ago, 9-Dec-08, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values

(...) Good timing on your response. We are going through the transparent colors now. I also agree that the transparent colors look washed out. I believe that the RGB values are how they would appear on a white background, but they do not render well (...) (16 years ago, 9-Dec-08, to lugnet.cad)