 CAD / 15687
Re: Opinions needed for Color and Edge Values
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 20:56:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Scott Wardlaw wrote:
<<http://www.scottwardlaw.com/lego/comparison.jpg>>
<<http://www.scottwardlaw.com/lego/comparison2.jpg>>

BTW, both these pictures look quite awful on my Windows CRT monitor with a
gamma of 1.0. I had to copy them to my painting program and adjust the gamma
correction to 2.60 before I realized that the engine in Comparison.jpg was
gray/yellow, not black/yellow, or that the one in Comparison2.jpg was
largely *green*.

At gamma 1.0 all the green, black and dark gray look completely black, with
no details.

Are you using a Mac? Or a TFT screen with a high gamma value? Does anyone
know if I can adjust the overall gamma with some setting in Windows?

Yeah! That IS the problem with colors. You can adjust so many settings, that on
an other monitor it looks completely different. I am using WinXP with a ATI
Radeon 9250 and a TFT Benq monitor. So far I can see windows does not provide a
possibility to adjust the gamma value, but the ATI Catalyst software do. My
gamma is set to 1 and I can see the gray and the green bricks.

But in general I think that the edges should be visible, as I do want to see the
edges in my building instructions. The edgelines could be taken out by software
if needed. But I do not see this for MLCad for example as a benefit NOT to see
the edges quite clear.

Maybe the guys that are working on the color values should first calibrate their
systems. I just found a good side here:
http://www.simpelfilter.de/en/colorman/whitepoint.html and the best - all is
explained in german and english language.

I hope this helps.

cu
mikeheide