 CAD / 14274
Re: LDD vs LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 23:35:08 GMT

In lugnet.cad, James Reynolds wrote:
I still don't get this.... submodels mean separate LDR files.  In
MLcad you can
have separate LDR files, or you can use MPD.  To edit these sub-
models you have
to switch files.

Groups is a collection of parts that you can treat as a unit
without the use of
a separate file.  They each have their use, although historically
sub-models as
separate LDraw files has been used a large majority of the time.

I have a question about this.  It is very important to me.  I like to
make animations, and to rotate things correctly, I must use
submodels.  In using other people's models, I've discovered that
nobody centers their submodels to the pivot point, but the origin is
just randomly placed (usually wherever they put the first piece).  I
wrote this article trying to address this issue:

Ahem Ahem... I know that at least Mladen and myself do this and I've been
spreading the word. You pretty much have to if you design mecha. I do, however,
agree that it is annoying to deal with when people don't (I'll name no names...
Swami).

http://james.magnusviri.com/lego/articles/animatable_models.html

But got no feedback.  Maybe it isn't very obvious what I'm saying?

I use a Mac, and thus Bricksmith.  Bricksmith makes it easy to use
submodels (in fact, it isn't even obvious you are using submodels).
This makes arbitrary rotations very easy.  Any time I rotate
anything, I put those pieces in a submodel and rotate them in a
group.  Together, they are aligned normally and are easy to edit.  I
only used MLCad a few times, so I'm not sure how it works, but is
editing submodels difficult on it?

James

It is not terribly hard to do in MLCad and to recenter a submodel you just
select all and move it (sometimes a bit annoying as you have to work out the
pivot and translate accordingly). You then have to move it in the vector
negative in its parent.

Tim