 CAD / 14257
Re: LDD vs LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 16:28:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim Foulds wrote:
Hey gang,

   So with the update on licensing soon to be finished for the LDraw community,
it got me to thinking about the Pros and Cons of LDD vs the LDraw toolset.  So I
thought I would throw it out to the community to see what other thought.

What are the Pros and Cons of each?

What do people like about each tool?

What do people not like about each tool?

Is there any feature that one has that we wish the other had?

- Jim F.

I think there's some discussion on this topic already, but my view is that LDD
and LDRAW each have their place.

LDD

Pros:
-Easy to use with a gentler learning curve.  Most kids can figure it out.
-Quite rapid to construct models.
-Real-time rendering of models with realistic coloring and shading

Cons:
-Cumbersome for large creations - hard to manipulate & requires a powerful
computer.
-No submodels - a significant drawback, in my view.
-Limited parts and colors
-Pesky part-placement bugs require that some pieces be added in MLCAD because
LDD won't add them properly.

LDRAW

Pros:
-Infinitely flexibility in terms of parts, colors, and part placement.  Anything
you imagine can be designed in LDRAW.
-Produces high-quality renderings and instructions (defacto instructions from
LDD are often close to useless)

Cons:
-Complete process from build->render requires a number of separate programs be
learned and utilized
-Learning curve is far steeper than for LDD
-User interface in MLCAD, while useful, lacks some of the conveniences built
into LDD - building some models will take longer.

Conclusions:
I use these programs side-by-side.  When designing an LDD model, I need MLCAD to
place parts properly in it.  And I prefer to render it using POV-Ray because the
renderings are much better.  But I can often work with a model more quickly in
LDD.  LDD and LDRAW can each stand on its own, but each has some distinct
advantages.

-Jordan