 CAD / 14268
Re: LDD vs LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:26:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Chris Phillips wrote:
   I have used LDD (a little) and MLcad (occasionally over several years) and had already given this topic some thought, so here goes. If I were writing a new CAD program, it would do everything MLcad can do today, plus:

Hmmm,

I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but what would you think about maybe taking over the maintainence and development of ldglite? I tend to think of it as the lowest common denominator of LDRAW viewer/editors, but with a little care and attention (sorely lacking from me lately) it could possibly be updated a bit. And by expanding on it’s drag and drop support (from ldlist), it’s cut and paste support (from sources like the peeron set database), and it’s support for LDDP plugins, it might be possible to update it without getting too involved with my ugly spaghetti code.

What do you think?

I’ve been considering starting in on a new WYSIWYG LPub. It has been a long time in coming. I was hoping to not have to figure out a new renderer, so I was thinking about using either ldglite or LDView as the renderer. I think these tools would need to be integrated at the source level, not the application/process level to get the speed I’d want. Both would be preferred.

I’ve got some serious performance issues in the LDraw code that I have to hammer out before I’ll be happy with the interactivity rate.

Kevin