 CAD / 14266
Re: LDD vs LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:36:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Chris Phillips wrote:
   I have used LDD (a little) and MLcad (occasionally over several years) and had already given this topic some thought, so here goes. If I were writing a new CAD program, it would do everything MLcad can do today, plus:

Hmmm,

I know it’s not exactly what you’re looking for, but what would you think about maybe taking over the maintainence and development of ldglite? I tend to think of it as the lowest common denominator of LDRAW viewer/editors, but with a little care and attention (sorely lacking from me lately) it could possibly be updated a bit. And by expanding on it’s drag and drop support (from ldlist), it’s cut and paste support (from sources like the peeron set database), and it’s support for LDDP plugins, it might be possible to update it without getting too involved with my ugly spaghetti code.

What do you think?

Actually, ldglite is pretty much exactly what I was thinking in terms of using OpenGL to enhance the MLcad experience. And don’t knock spaghetti code - a lot of programmers never release anything because they’re too busy trying to “do it right.” There is a lot to be said for doing it at all. Besides, I’ve deciphered sample code from Microsoft, so there is *nothing* for cyber-pasta that I haven’t seen before! :)

This might make you rescind your offer, but my experience is mostly with Windows programming. I’m no stranger to cross-platform development, and I have the resources available to develop and test on Mac and Linux platforms. But I might unwittingly “taint” your platform-neutral user interface with my own perspective on UI design.

I’m pulling down the latest sources from SourceForge to take a look. Feel free to contact me via e-mail if you have additional information or pointers that might help me to dig in and get started. If I can find a toehold to make a positive contribution, I’d love to take this on.