 Announcements / 3682
    Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
   Hi all, in the next couple of days, you may notice some changes in the appearance of LUGNET news web pages. These changes are basically a testing scenario and will have the following impact: As long as you are visiting LUGNET news web pages (...) (17 years ago, 13-Dec-07, to lugnet.announce) !

        Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —David Koudys
     In lugnet.announce, Gereon Stein wrote: <snip> (...) Anyting that keeps the wheels on the wagon that is LUGNET, I'm in favour of! Keep up the great work! Dave K -who was once an english major--cancha tell? (17 years ago, 13-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Gabriele Biffi
     This is a good solution, several web sites does exactly that. I've only one request: could you please modify the Post Message page so I don't have to go through the alert and type my name and email every time? Best regards, Gabriele (17 years ago, 13-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
     Hi Gabriele, let me see if I'm getting you correctly: You would like to skip the "Make yourself familiar..." blurb and have your personal info filled in automatically when posting. This is exactly what posting as a registered user is all about (in (...) (17 years ago, 13-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Gabriele Biffi
     (...) I _am_ a registered user :-) I am logged in right now, but it stills asks the same things. From your words I understand this is not what should happen... Maybe something has gone wrong when I registered? I used the same user name I used to use (...) (17 years ago, 13-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
     (...) You are absolutely right - you should not be seeing the alert message and you should not have to authenticate posts or even enter your name and email address with every new post. It is possible that your browser has the wrong cookie settings (...) (17 years ago, 13-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Gabriele Biffi
     (...) This is my situation: 1 - I sign in with the "Sign in" button (and select "keep me logged in until I sign out manually") 2 - I click on "new post" (or "reply") 3 - It asks if I read the terms of use and if I have filled the news-posting setup (...) (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —David Eaton
     Looks like the issue is the fact that your member page lists a different email address than the one you're using. Since there are 3 separate emails in the membership form (and you only have two listed), you should be able to add your *posting* email (...) (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Gabriele Biffi
     (...) Nothing at all. Thank you, Gabriele -- gb@@biffuz..it (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —David Eaton
     (...) Innnnteresting. Sounds like it's not giving you the cookie that it ought to be giving you. Hm. Not to give you the runaround, but try this: 1) Log out 2) Clear cookies (in case any are left) 3) Don't log in, but try posting to off-topic.test. (...) (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Gabriele Biffi
     (...) Nothing left (...) Regards, Gabriele -- gb@@biffuz..it (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —David Eaton
      Indeed, it looks like there's an issue with the automatic posting ID setup. I believe that it's supposed to pull a valid posting setup with your member account, which should prevent you from having to fill out the form every time, and also avoid the (...) (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

          Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
      (...) Dave, is it possible that this relates only to users who have set up several - potentially invalid - email addresses? I have just tried the procedure you laid out and it works fine with my account (otherwise I wouldn't have been so sure about (...) (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —David Eaton
     Ah. Here we go. 1) Make sure you're signed in 2) Go to (URL) Fill out and submit the form with a name/email address that's been accepted 4) NOW try to post somewhere! DaveE (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Erik Amzallag
      (...) I had the same problem than Gabriele, but now it works. Thanks Erik (17 years ago, 15-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Gabriele Biffi
     (...) Ok, I did it and (after three days) I can post easily :-) Thank you, Gabriele (17 years ago, 17-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
     Since I'm getting mostly positive feedback so far... I have now also included ads code in the LUGNET Guide pages. This code is also dependant on the Signed-In status, i.e. signed in users will not see the ads. Please keep me updated with issues or (...) (17 years ago, 13-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Luca Giannitti
     (...) The ads in the LUGNET Guide pages are ok, they aren't annoying, it's a good thing. In the newsgroup pages, instead, I would suggest you to change the ad box with a banner in order to limit the scrolling. Even if LUGNET member, I wouldn't log (...) (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
      (...) Hi Luca, I have received the same suggestion from other users as well - I will make the box above the "Active threads" display somewhat smaller to reduce scrolling. Where there are no active threads to display, a vertical banner is inserted. (...) (17 years ago, 15-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

          Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Luca Giannitti
      (...) I'm happy to be helpful. The Google ads aren't irritating at all (they have a very good ads system) but it is important to don't make the whole webpage annoying (a bad layout makes it non user-friendly). Anyway, here you can see how I see the (...) (17 years ago, 15-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

          Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
      Luca, thanks for the screenshot - this really helps me evaluate where I could optimize the layout to maintain user-friendliness. I will try some changes later today and see what will happen. I think especially changing the size of the 300*300 box (...) (17 years ago, 16-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

          Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
      Hi all, I think I did a fair bit about reducing the "scrolling activity" impact for those among you who frequently browse the news pages without signing in first. Apparently, the rearrangement does not negatively affect the conversion rates, however (...) (17 years ago, 16-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

          Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Luca Giannitti
      (...) I think too that it is a good idea. Without too much scrolling, the newsgroup is again friendly to browser. Luca (17 years ago, 16-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Ed Manlove
     (...) I take issue with this problem of scrolling too. The layout and usability on LUGNET newsgroups has been by far the best of all web-based forums. Although there now arises a need for ad-based support I would ask that the LUGNET admins try to (...) (17 years ago, 15-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
     (...) Hi Ed, thanks for your suggestions - I will consider them when doing further optimization on the layout. Moving the larger ads into the header area (with the newsgroup listings) makes sense for the respective pages, it will only involve some (...) (17 years ago, 15-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

        Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Dave Schuler
     (...) This is an excellent idea, and it's entirely in line with what countless other web-forums do already. If it helps to keep LUGNET afloat, I say great! When does LUGNET get "credit" for an ad? Does the user have to purchase something, or just (...) (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
     (...) Hi Dave, the average ad works on a pay-per-click scheme, however it is pointless for anyone to just click on several ads in a row - anti click-fraud mechanisms with affiliate programs prevent this from generating cash for LUGNET and will (...) (17 years ago, 14-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Dave Schuler
     (...) Oops! Well, I certainly don't want that to happen, so I'm relieved to have asked before attempting it! (...) Excellent--glad to hear it! Dave! (17 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Geoff Gray
   (...) I hate to start in on this thread because I know it will become political, but I have to question doing this FOR ONE SIMPLE REASON. I was browsing (not logged in because after six attempts over the last few years to get my account reset so I (...) (17 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
   (...) Geoff, you are right, this is way beyond our intention. First of all, I chose Google AdSense Ads for the simple reason that they do not usually send popup ads to pages. If anyone observes this behavior frequently, I will need to flag this with (...) (17 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
     I've done some quick research on the "adult swim" issue - apparently the channel and the related website are somewhere on the borderline of what conforms with Google's policies. I wouldn't want to see their ads here just to avoid confusion, so I'll (...) (17 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Ross Crawford
      (...) You might want to think about removing the ads from the off-topic groups, as they may easily trigger unwanted ads. And maybe even the admin groups. ROSCO (17 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

         Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Geoff Gray
     (...) Thank you Jerry for both your efforts on behalf of the site and for responding to my concerns. This has been a very timely and reasonable response. I am glad to see the efforts you're putting forth. This is what I think the community is about. (...) (17 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance —Rob Antonishen
   (...) Geoff- From the Gogle TOS: "No Google ad or Google search box may be displayed in a pop-up, pop-under, or in an email." They enforce this quite agressively. If you are getting pop-ups, they are 99.9999% not likely to be coming from Google, or (...) (17 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)

        Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance Gereon Stein
   (...) Rob, that's what I expected in the first place - however the ad mentioned is entirely possible as they apparently do have both "mature" content and - well - content that could pass Google rules. I have not made the effort to check out which is (...) (17 years ago, 18-Dec-07, to lugnet.admin.general)