 Administrative / General / 13995
Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2007 15:29:51 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Gereon Stein wrote:
Hi all,

in the next couple of days, you may notice some changes in the appearance of
LUGNET news web pages.

These changes are basically a testing scenario and will have the following
impact:

As long as you are visiting LUGNET news web pages (hierarchy below
http://news.lugnet.com/) without being signed on with a valid LUGNET member id,
you will find some small advertisements inserted into each individual page.

As soon as you sign on with a valid LUGNET user id, you will see the
advertisements disappear again.

The idea behind this is: Registered LUGNET members have donated a certain amount
of money in order to support LUGNET. The majority of visitors, however, are
unregistered users. In order to continue improving the services LUGNET offers,
René and I are evaluating the possibilities to insert commercial advertisements
which will display only to unregistered "guest" users.

If this actually proves to work, we will keep it that way. Regular visitors of
LUGNET will be able to easily rid themselves of the ads by becoming registered
members - for all others we expect the ads won't hurt much.

Please note that for now we are only testing this functionality. It may be that
affiliate programs and positioning of ads will change over the next few days if
not weeks. We will update you once we have decided to either keep ads in some
final configuration or chosen to discontinue the ads altogether.

Your feedback is very much appreciated, so please contact me personally or
followup to this message. I have personally taken technical responsibility for
the ads setup, so I'll be your first point of contact.

Parties interested in some sort of individual advertising are invited to contact
me with their ideas as well - we can certainly figure something out.

Thanks,

Jerry

I hate to start in on this thread because I know it will become political, but I
have to question doing this FOR ONE SIMPLE REASON.  I was browsing (not logged
in because after six attempts over the last few years to get my account reset so
I can log in I have given up on ever getting my account to work again) through
the set list to look up a particular model. When I got to the page with the
model info, I got a popup ad. That did not bother me. The content of the ad DID
BOTHER ME. It was for a TV show or website called ADULT SWIM. Sorry, but we do
not need to be sending kids to our site (we often advertise the LUGNET site at
shows, conventions, etc) and then having them exposed to this type of
advertising. If you plan on using Google, or any other ad referral company,
please make sure that they can GUARANTEE only family friendly advertising. If
they cannot, I'd strongly suggest not advertising with them.

As for the concept, I have no problem with Lugnet doing what it must to stay
afloat, as long as it is in the best interest of the spirit of the community and
addresses a real need.

Thanks